The University of Minnesota supports freedom of speech while providing guidance on the distribution of publications, banners, or chalking. This policy aims to:
- ensure safety,
- safeguard entrances and exits to and from University facilities,
- provide clear and consistent directional signage,
- minimize disruption of the educational mission, and
- minimize litter and reduce clutter on University properties and campuses.
Material may not be distributed within 25 feet of exterior facility entrances (excluding Rochester campus).
Freedom of Speech Statement
Freedom of speech is a guaranteed right under the U.S. Constitution and a core value of the University. To sustain an open exchange of ideas, the University community is asked to be tolerant of differing points of view and respect the rights of others to express themselves. Any member of the University community who finds posted or distributed materials to be offensive or disrespectful is encouraged to contact their campus resource (see Appendix.)
Persons or groups distributing information are prohibited from:
- coercing of others by demands, threats, or other means to accept publications;
- interfering with or impeding the normal flow of either vehicular or pedestrian traffic on campus; or
- interfering with, disrupting, or otherwise advocating disruption or violation of any other lawful activity of any other person(s).
Facility managers (facilities management staff, department facility representatives) will remove materials that violate law, regulation, or University policy. Individuals, sponsoring organizations, or groups responsible for these materials may be charged the cost of removal and any associated repairs.
Each campus has varying guidelines and requirements for postings, chalking, publication distribution, banners, sign standards, and promotional signage. See the campus-specific Appendix for a complete listing of requirements that must be followed.
Reason for Policy
To implement Board of Regents Policies: Property and Facility Use and Historic Preservation, and Administrative Policy: Use and Lease of Real Estate. This policy provides for and defines orderly distribution of non-official University communications, and to define the allowable parameters and procedures for distributing publications, creating and/or installing banners and signs and chalking at the University.