University of Minnesota  Appendix

Campus Specific Requirements: Twin Cities


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.


Publications may be posted on bulletin boards in University facilities expressly provided for public use. Use of departmental bulletin boards may require approval. On campus grounds, distribution by posting is prohibited except at kiosks or other areas designated for posting. Kiosks and posting area information is available at Appendix A: Facilities Management List of Kiosks and Outdoor Posting Areas: Twin Cities (PDF).

Publications, including posters, flyers, and signs, must be posted in a way that makes them easy to remove and does not cause damage to or deface the surfaces to which they are attached. Materials may not be posted with paste, glue, adhesive backing, or other similar means. The use of staples and tape is permissible, where usage does not cause damage. Violators may be billed for the costs of clean-up or repairs resulting from inappropriate posting or use of adhesives; violators may lose future distribution privileges.

Postings will be limited to one item per event, per kiosk side or bulletin board; violators may lose future distribution privileges.  Postings cannot interfere with another that has already been posted, unless a posting is outdated (e.g. event date has passed) or exceeds the one posting per side/board limit.

The distributor of the publications is responsible for the removal of publications. Failure to remove outdated material, determined by the next date of publication or date of event, on a regular basis may result in billing for removal costs and/or loss of distribution privileges.

Posters, flyers, and signs for outdoor posting will be no larger than 14 inches by 22 inches. Materials larger than 14 inches by 22 inches, should follow the guidelines in the Banners section.


Chalking on the Twin Cities campus is limited to members of registered student groups and official University departments or offices.

  • Chalking is permitted only in open areas on a horizontal surface, such as sidewalks or plazas, not covered by an overhang.
  • Chalking must be only for a campus-wide event or program, an event open to all students or services provided by a University department.
  • Chalking must bear the name of the sponsoring University department or registered student group.
  • The material used to mark the walk must be water-soluble chalk (sidewalk chalk.)
  • Chalking may be in place for a maximum of 10 days.

Violations of this procedure constitute grounds for removal of the material by the campus facilities management unit, which reserves the right to charge for the cost of removal and any associated repairs to the sponsoring organization.


  • The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, or sprayable chalk is prohibited.
  • Chalking is prohibited on all vertical surfaces, as well as on the specific surfaces listed here: buildings, walls, benches, picnic tables, signs, poles, newsstands, columns, bus stops, mailboxes, light poles, and trees.
  • Chalking cannot interfere with another message that has already been chalked.

Publication Distribution

Unless otherwise restricted, publications are limited to foyer and lobby areas via bins and racks. Distributing published materials in stairways, classrooms, offices, hallways, doorways, ramps, elevators, or escalators is prohibited.  Distribution-free zones are established outside University facilities to maintain facility ingress and egress. Material may not be distributed within a 25’ x 20’ envelope immediately outside facility entrances.

Within University academic facilities, publications may distributed only in lobby or foyer areas via bins and racks.  Publications distribution is prohibited in nonacademic University facilities (athletic facilities, Ted Mann Concert Hall, Northrop Memorial Auditorium, etc.) including all University parking areas, parking ramps, and surface lots.

Non-university entities and registered student organizations wishing to distribute publications in a bin or rack must contact the Real Estate office at 612-625-5345 or [email protected] The designated unit will initiate an agreement with a timeline governing the use of the distribution bin/rack and then assign space in the designated areas in the following priority:

  • publications published by or for the University or its programs,
  • publications by a registered student organization, including The Minnesota Daily,
  • all other publications on a first-come, first-served basis.

The distribution of publications that are for sale is governed by Board of Regents Policy: Direct Sales of Goods and Services(PDF) and Administrative Policy: Selling Goods and Services to External Customers.


Banners in University properties and facilities must promote a University event sponsored by a department or registered student organization.

Banners are defined as written or printed stationary or fixed matter that are larger than 14 inches by 22 inches. Units planning to display a banner at the Twin Cities campus University must follow this procedure:

  1. Determine sponsoring University unit and arrange funding.
  2. Include the event name, date, time, and name of the sponsoring department or registered student group in the Submittal Request.
  3. Determine event information of banner and contact University Sign Shop or other professional sign fabrication company.
  4. Prepare the banner in accordance with U Standards for University departments and Campus Life Programs. See the University Relations website, How to Convey the University Brand. Registered Student Organizations follow U Standards but are not to use the U Brand.
  5. Install the banner according to University Construction Standards (see Building Standards: Appendices - Appendix F: Twin Cities Signage and Graphic Standards).
  6. Complete the "Banner Installation Request (DOCX)" form

Forward a banner request to the designated campus contact.  When the need arises, the Signage Committee will be convened to review requests for signage and/or banners that are not specifically addressed here or in the University Wide Signage and Graphic Standards.

Banners smaller than 14 x 22 inches should follow guidelines in the Postings section.

Signage Standards

The purpose of the University’s signage system is to identify and direct users to their desired destination on campus. Signs must comply with the University signage standards, which include the minimum requirements, and are in addition to applicable building codes and requirements.

Promotional Signage

Twin Cities campus units wishing to display promotional signage in interior public common areas (e.g., hallways) need to maintain safety, clarity, and logical wayfinding within University buildings.  Units should consult with the Signage Committee for guidance.