This policy governs the credit requirements for the following degrees:
- Master’s Plan A degrees
- Master’s Plan B degrees
- Master’s Plan C degrees
- Doctoral degrees
Credit requirements for master’s degrees
- Master’s degrees must consist of the following minimum credits:
- Plan A degrees: 10 master’s thesis credits (xxxx8777) and a minimum of 20 graduate-level course credits.
- Plan B degrees: a minimum of 30 graduate-level course credits, including Plan B Project credits as defined by each program and approved by the college.
- Plan C degrees: a minimum of 30 graduate-level course credits.
- No collegiate unit or program may require more than:
- 36 credits with a combination of course and thesis for a master’s Plan A
- 36 credits with a combination of course and Plan B project credits for a master’s Plan B, and
- 48 course credits for a master’s Plan C.
- Master’s thesis credits (xxxx8777) may be taken for the master’s Plan A at any time during a student’s degree program.
- A minimum of 6 graduate-level course credits is required for a master’s level minor.
Credit requirements for doctoral degrees
- Doctoral degrees must consist of a minimum of 48 credits: a minimum of 24 graduate-level course credits and a minimum of 24 doctoral thesis credits (xxxx8888).
- No collegiate unit or program may require more than 72 credits with a combination of course and doctoral thesis credits (xxxx8888) for the completion of the doctoral degree.
- Programs have the discretion, with college approval, to determine when it is academically appropriate for students to take doctoral thesis credits (xxxx8888).
- A minimum of 12 graduate-level course credits is required for a doctoral level minor.
Collegiate deans or the appropriate campus Vice Chancellor may request exceptions from the Executive Vice President and Provost to items 1b and 2b based on accreditation requirements, national standards of the field, interdisciplinary nature of the program or similar arguments. Collegiate deans or the appropriate campus Vice Chancellor may petition the Provost for an exception to the 24 doctoral thesis-credit (xxxx8888) minimum in item 2a on behalf of doctoral programs that do not require dissertations. The petition should show that the exception conforms to national standards in the field and that appropriate additional credits (course credits, internships, project credits, etc.) will replace the 24 doctoral thesis credits (xxxx8888).
This policy does not apply to the J.D., M.D., PharmD., D.V.M., D.D.S., L.L.M., and M.B.A (Twin Cities) degrees.
Reason for Policy
This policy establishes the minimum and maximum credit requirements for Master’s Plan A, B, and C degrees and for Doctoral degrees. It provides a framework for curriculum development that balances coursework, research training, and independent scholarly work.