Early Doctoral Thesis Credit Registration Option
Graduate programs, in collaboration with their college, have the right and responsibility to
- require their doctoral students to register for doctoral thesis credits (xxxx8888) no earlier than the term following their successful preliminary oral examination, or
- provide their “research ready” doctoral students the option to register for xxxx8888 prior to passing the preliminary oral examination.
Graduate programs opting to allow “research ready” doctoral students to register for xxxx8888 prior to passing the preliminary oral examination must:
- determine “research ready” criteria appropriate for their doctoral program,
- publicize the criteria (e.g., in the program’s student handbook), and
- apply the criteria consistently.
Graduate programs that require all of their students to pass the preliminary oral examination prior to xxxx8888 registration:
- No action is needed in the Electronic Course Approval system (ECAS). This is the University’s default requirement for xxxx8888 registration.
Graduate programs that do not require any of their doctoral students to pass the preliminary oral examination prior to xxxx8888 registration:
- The xxxx8888 information must be edited in ECAS to reflect this decision.
- The relevant xxxx8888 changes are
- initiated in ECAS by staff assigned by the graduate program, and
- reviewed/approved via ECAS by the program’s college.
For graduate programs that review/approve xxxx8888 registration prior the preliminary oral examination only for students who meet the program’s established and publicized eligibility criteria:
- The program assigns an “Early Thesis Credit Registration” (ETCR) student group to the student record of each student who meets the graduate program’s eligibility criteria. To do so, programs need to:
- ensure that the ECAS consent requirement associated with their xxxx8888 registration indicates “[(Student’s major) PhD student and ETCR]”, e.g., “[EPSY PhD student and ETCR]”.
- The Graduate Student Services and Progress (firstname.lastname@example.org) is available for questions about selecting and entering the appropriate ETCR student group.