Search current openings
Review the job requirements and description
- Make sure the work interests you, that you meet the qualifications, and that you can work the schedule given, if applicable. If you have questions about the job posting, contact the employer directly.
- Employers will list the minimum qualifications, experience required, schedule, pay rate, and job duties.
Schedule an interview
- To schedule an interview, contact the employer directly. When you speak to the employer, specifically state what you are calling/writing about and briefly describe the skills, abilities, and/or experience you have that makes you a good candidate.
- Do not delay! Interviews may not be given to all applicants.
- The job posting will tell you whether to call or e-mail the employer. The employer will explain the screening and hiring process. Call the employer if you are unable to interview at the time scheduled or are delayed.
Be prepared for questions and the interview
Questions an employer might ask:
- What hours are you available to work?
- What is your class schedule for the term?
- How many credits are you taking?
- What type of work experience have you had?
- What is your major?
- Do you have Work Study funds?
- Be on time
- Smile and relax
- Speak clearly
- Think positively
- Dress appropriately
- Bring any materials the employers ask for (i.e., resume, application, writing samples, etc.)
- View the listings each day and contact the employer as soon as you can
- Apply for any job for which you are qualified
- Network with instructors, departments, and other students
If you are having difficulty finding a job due to hours, etc., contact a staff member in the Job Center. You may not always find your "dream" job immediately.
Printed on: 11/30/2023. Please go to policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the document.