Printed on: 10/15/2018. Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
Conducting a Background Check or Verification
- While all new hires into non-student positions undergo a background check, the unit identifies when current employees and other individuals must undergo background checks:
- Prior to working in programs with minors and every three years thereafter;
- Prior to a transfer or reassignment to a non-student position;
- Prior to beginning work on an assignment where background checks are legally or contractually required or can be justified by a legitimate business need.
- The unit should talk to the appropriate central recruiter in OHR, AHC, or UMD, if needed, to determine what type of background check is necessary and if credentials verification will be required. See Types of Background Checks chart.
- The unit notifies the individual that any hire, work with minors, transfer, reassignment, or work assignment is contingent on satisfactory results of a background check before the individual is to begin employment. This contingency needs to be reflected in the offer letter. Any falsification of information may be cause for human resource action.
- The unit provides the Summary of Rights to the applicant. See appendix: Summary of Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Unit completes background check entry into vendor system. See GIS login page
- The applicant completes the background check information online through the eLink sent to the applicant’s email address. A couple of items to consider:
- If the individual has lived outside the United States, within the past seven years, the unit will provide permission to GIS to complete the international portion of the search.
- If the individual is from another country, the individual provides the required documentation to the unit, who submits the documentation to GIS.
- If the individual wishes to enter personal information into the system, the action(s) may be entered in GIS under the “Admitted Criminal Information” section.
- The unit will notify the hiring authority that the background check and credentials verification have been completed.
- For background checks that result in a ‘Review’ status, OHR determines a final outcome and informs the unit. Units continue to proceed with the appropriate next steps.
- The hiring authority communicates with the individual regarding whether the background check and credentials verification results were satisfactory. If the results were not satisfactory, the hiring authority provides the individual with a letter outlining contact information regarding the adverse impact process.
- The unit will review the billing invoice, when received, for accuracy and submit payment within 30 days to the University designated background check vendor as instructed on the invoice. Any questions are directed to the GIS client representative assigned to the University.