Using the University Procurement Card
Frequently Asked Questions
- What can the card be used for? How do we prevent spending on items that are not allowable for a particular grant or agency?
The card is best used for items such as books, conference registrations, hospitality, miscellaneous office supplies, airline charges and subscriptions. Purchasing is governed by cardholder department policies and procedures, University Policy, and where applicable, sponsoring agency regulations. For example, if a book is not allowable on a sponsored account now, it is not allowable when the Procurement Card is used. Additionally, types of suppliers can be blocked. See also Examples of Allowable and Unallowable Purchases and Hospitality, Alcoholic Beverages, and Other Special Expenses Allowability Grid .
- What are the spending limits on the card?
There is a University per purchase maximum of $2,500 for sponsored accounts and non-sponsored accounts. The University monthly credit limit per card is $10,000. However, departments may choose a lesser amount for monthly and/or per transaction limits.
- Is this a reimbursement program like the University's American Express (personal liability) corporate travel card?
No. The bill is received and paid centrally.
- What guidelines do cards issued on sponsored accounts have to follow?
Purchases on sponsored accounts must strictly adhere to OMB Uniform Guidance and any other appropriate agency guidelines. These guidelines may restrict the purchasing of specific items. It is the cardholder's responsibility to be aware of their own sponsor's rules and guidelines and make only appropriate purchases. Questions concerning the types of expenses allowed on sponsored accounts should be directed to the Principal Investigator or Certified Approver.
- If a merchant asks for a "Bill to" or "Verification" address what do I give?
Give the address that appears on the tri-fold sheet your procurement card came attached to. The address given to the merchant is verified with the bank. Entry of this information can be very sensitive, so it is important to pay attention to abbreviations and the order in which your address is provided (ex. Street address then room number and building name).
- If a merchant wants a phone number for verification, whose number do I give them?
Give them the Pcard Program Administrator's phone number: 612-626-1562.
- When activating my card, I am asked to enter the last 4 digits of my unique identifier or Social Security #. What number is this?
Enter the last 4 digits of your employee ID number, which you provided on your application form.
- Are there any fees or costs a unit will incur for using the card?
There is no cost for a card with our current provider bank (US Bank). Service fees for charge card use are contrary to credit card regulations. If a charge appears for card use, contact the Program Administrator.