Withholding Diplomas and Official Transcripts from Students
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Associate Vice Provost and University Registrar
- See Contacts Section
The University will not issue diplomas or official transcripts to students with financial obligations of $200 or more, or to students who have not satisfied student conduct or academic integrity sanctions.
Once a student satisfies the financial obligation or the outstanding sanction, the responsible office will remove the hold and the Office of the Registrar may issue the diploma and/or the official transcript.
Reason for Policy
The University expects students to meet any financial and/or student conduct and academic integrity obligations to the institution, both during their enrollment and upon graduation. Withholding the diploma and official transcript for not meeting these responsibilities is consistent with these expectations.
|Policy Information - Twin Cities||Sue Van Voorhis||612-625-8098||612-626-1754|
|Policy Information - Morris||Marcus Mulleremail@example.com|
|Policy Information - Duluth||Carla Boydfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Policy Information - Crookston||Jason Tangquistemail@example.com|
|Policy Information - Rochester||Diane Douglasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
- Financial Obligation
- Students that owe a minimum of to the University student account.
- Student conduct and academic integrity sanction
- A sanction imposed upon a student for violation of Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code.
- Notify faculty, staff and students of the policy of withholding diplomas and official transcripts.
- College or department
- Advise students of the policy on the policy of withholding diplomas and official transcripts.
- Campus Collections Office
- Determines if diploma can be issued based on satisfactory payment of financial obligations.
- Office for Community Standards (OCS) - Twin Cities Campus
- Determines if diploma or transcript can be issued based on satisfactory resolution of obligation.
- Administrative policy: Holds on Records & Registration: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
- July 2019 - Comprehensive Review:
- Minor language changes for readability
- Update FAQ to reflect current system (MyU) and better address questions raised during consultation
- Retire outdated procedure
- December 2013 - Comprehensive Review, Minor Revision. Provides additional guidance to the students who have a hold on their record through a new FAQs.
- December 2009 -Changes withholding of "degrees" to withholding of "diplomas and official transcripts"; Improves satisfaction of student conduct or academic integrity sanctions by expanding the policy to address these types of obligations; Aligns with practices of our peer institutions.
- December 2004