Holds on Records and Registration: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester

Responsible Officer
Rachel Croson
Executive Vice President and Provost
Robert McMaster
Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education
Primary Contact
Stacey Tidball
Associate Vice Provost - Academic Support Resources
Last Revised
Effective Date

Policy Statement

Authorized University staff and faculty may impose holds on student records for financial, student conduct, or academic reasons. A hold may prevent a student from obtaining an official transcript, registering for courses, or making registration changes.

  1. For advising and academic purposes, advisers or authorized collegiate staff may place a hold on the student’s record that prevents the student from registering or making registration changes.
  2. Authorized University staff or faculty may place a hold on a student's record for a violation of Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code, or for failure to meet financial obligations to the University (for example, unpaid bills, library fees, unreturned keys).
  3. The Executive Vice President and Provost and/or Vice President for Clinical Affairs may designate other appropriate reasons for the University to place a hold on a student's record.
  4. To resolve a hold and have it removed from the record, the student must first pay the debt owed, correct the deficiency or problem, or be cleared by the Office for Community Standards (or the appropriate office on the system campuses).


This policy is not applicable to the Duluth campus.

Reason for Policy

Holds are placed on student records to protect the University’s interests, guide or compel student action, and enforce policy. Placing holds is not an arbitrary action. Only certain offices on campus are able to place and/or remove holds.




Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I learn about any holds on my student record?

    In MyU, you can view your holds and what office is responsible. For more information, use this guide.

  2. Can holds be temporarily removed or how do I get an exception to a hold?

    Contact the office responsible for placing the hold to see what the procedures are and whether the hold can be lifted, or whether an exception is possible. If you are unsure of what office is responsible, contact your campus One Stop or Office of the Registrar.

    For information on how to resolve past-due bills, visit the One Stop website and contact One Stop Student Services.


Subject Contact Phone Email
Primary Contact(s) Stacey Tidball 612-626-0075 [email protected]
Twin Cities Campus Julie Selander 612-625-6579 [email protected]
Crookston Campus Jason Tangquist 218-281-8424 [email protected]
Morris Campus Marcus Muller 320-589-6011 [email protected]
Rochester Campus Diane Douglas 507-258-8008 [email protected]


There are no definitions associated with this policy.


There are no specified responsibilities associated with this policy.

Related Information


July 2019 - Comprehensive Review. This policy applies to undergraduate students and was modified to:
  1. Clarify language regarding who can place and remove holds from student records.
  2. Improve organization by removing duplicative language and explain the impact of holds at the beginning of the policy.
  3. Add FAQs to address concerns that students need more information on how to learn about holds or resolve holds.
December 2009 - Policy now applies to Crookston.
April 2009

Document Feedback

Notification: Please be aware that while we rarely receive these data requests, any information submitted through this comment form is public, including your name, email address and comment/question, unless you are a student.

Add new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.