Leave of Absence and Readmission for Undergraduates
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who should students contact about taking a leave of absence?
Students should contact their academic advisor and follow the process for the college in which they are enrolled. See appendix: Student Services Contact Information for contact information for specific colleges. Contacts for Crookston, Morris, and Rochester are listed in the contacts section of the policy.
- If students have questions about returning to the University or about extending a leave of absence (up to the four-term maximum), whom should they contact?
Students should contact the college student services office for the college in which they were last enrolled. See appendix: Student Services Contact Information for contact information for specific colleges. Contacts for Crookston, Morris, and Rochester are listed in the contacts section of the policy.
- Are leaves of absence available for students in their first term at the University?
If students’ circumstances require that they drop all registration prior to the first day of classes in their first term at the University, they should consult with Admissions regarding deferring their admission to another term. A leave of absence is not available in this circumstance.
If students have attended classes for at least part of their first term at the University but need to withdraw from all classes, they may be eligible for a leave of absence under this policy and should consult with their advisor.
- How are the total number of terms calculated for a leave of absence?
The total number of terms count each fall and spring term without attendance. For example, if a student registered and attended in spring 2016 and then begins a leave of absence, the maximum leave of absence would include fall 2016, spring 2017, fall 2017 and spring 2018 terms. If the student does not return in fall 2018, the student would be discontinued.
- Can undergraduate students on a leave of absence from the University of Minnesota enroll in college courses at another institution during the leave?
Yes, students on an approved leave of absence may take courses at another institution during the leave. Taking classes at another institution while on leave of absence may have financial aid implications.
Students on leave from one University of Minnesota campus are not permitted to take classes at another University of Minnesota campus during the leave. Instead, students should seek to change campuses or take classes as a multi-institutional student or in the Study Away program.
- If students do not intend to return, are leaves of absence appropriate?
No, students should transfer or withdraw in these cases.