University of Minnesota  FAQ

Undergraduate Degrees with Distinction and Degrees with Honors


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

  1. How are Latin honors determined (Twin Cities)?

    The level of graduation with Latin Honors (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) is based on the grade point average in a student’s final 60 graded credits at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (transfer credits are not included). The GPA in these last 60 graded credits, combined with meeting the University Honors Program requirements, qualifies the student to be considered for the following Latin Honors Graduation Levels:

    • cum laude: 3.50 GPA or higher
    • magna cum laude: 3.66 GPA or higher
    • summa cum laude: 3.75 GPA or higher

    All students pursuing Latin Honors must complete an Honors Thesis consistent with the level of Latin Honors they are attempting. All students graduating with Latin Honors at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities must meet the residency requirement of 60 graded credits on the UMTC campus. Students whose GPA is 0.100 or less below one of these three bands may be awarded Latin Honors based on exceptional thesis work as determined by the student’s campus honors program.

  2. Can a student graduate with more than one type of honors designation?

    At the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, a student may earn graduation with distinction or high distinction at the same time as graduation with Latin Honors.

    At the University of Minnesota, Morris and the University of Minnesota, Rochester, a student may be able to graduate with more than one type of honors designation. Students are encouraged to speak with their advisors regarding their eligibility for an honors designation.

  3. How are grades from multiple University of Minnesota campuses considered when calculating the overall grade point average?

    A student's cumulative grade point average is calculated with all of the student's University of Minnesota coursework. Therefore, if a student has coursework at more than one campus of the University (e.g. Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Twin Cities, Rochester), all grades from coursework at all campuses are included in calculating the grade point average.

  4. Does a student need to apply for a degree "with distinction" or "with high distinction"?

    Students do not need to apply. If the student's GPA, as is calculated at the point of graduation clearance, has met the requirement, "with distinction" or "with high distinction" will be automatically noted on the student's record. The student's transcript and the diploma will include this information.