UMC Tailgating Rules
Appendix to Policy
Related Policy: Tailgating Policy: Crookston
The University promotes community-building activities for its faculty, staff, students, and visitors, and recognizes that tailgating has the potential to enhance athletic event experiences within a safe, responsible, and controlled environment.
Tailgating is permitted on football game days in designated areas, during specified hours, and under the conditions specified in the Tailgating Rules. The Chancellor must approve all changes to tailgating in Parking Lot E and any associated permits.
The University of Minnesota Crookston allows tailgating activities only in three designated areas within Parking Lot E on home football game days. Each designated area has been assigned a limited number of tailgating parking spots that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. General parking is not permitted in the designated tailgating spots until fifteen (15) minutes before kick-off, with the exception of needed handicap parking with appropriate permit.
Campus security/officials will check identification for all parties consuming alcohol and stamp the hands of those individuals 21 years of age or older who plan to possess alcohol. Alcohol is not permitted outside of Lot E.
Permitted tailgating areas (e.g., Teambackers-hosted tailgating) are indicated by fencing, barricades, or similar means. The permitted party may establish rules for entry into the permitted area, as long as such rules are consistent with University and campus policy.
Commercial food and beverage vendors are allowed on campus by permit only.
Tailgating is restricted to the following times.
- Tailgating may begin three (3) hours before game time.
- Tailgating must end no later than thirty (30) minutes after the completion of the game.
- A UMC Parking permit will be required to remain in E-Lot past 10:00 p.m.
Activities and Equipment
The following items and activities are allowed in Lot E:
- Gas grills with a maximum propane tank of 20 pounds
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in conformance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances, and University policies
- Beer or wine only
- Portable outdoor furniture
- Tents and awnings that do not require the use of stakes or block adjacent spaces or driving aisle
- All tailgating supplies must be properly disposed of, recycled or stored in a vehicle after the event
The following items and activities ARE NOT ALLOWED in Lot E:
- Smoking, tobacco products, or e-cigarettes
- Open fires
- Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, or large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages
- Glass containers of any kind, including bottles and cups
- Sale of products, food or beverage, except by permit
- Occupying more than one parking space
- Obstructing adjacent parking spaces and driving aisles
- Loud music, except when live music is approved by the University
- Oversized vehicles such as RVs or buses during tailgate activities
- Parking in spaces with safety cones or moving safety cones