The University of Minnesota permits tailgating on Gopher football game and other approved Huntington Bank Stadium event days in designated areas, during specified hours, and under the conditions outlined in this Tailgating Rules document. These rules are intended to enhance the Huntington Bank Stadium event experience, promote a safe campus environment, and preserve the beauty of the campus.
Tailgating is permitted only in designated surface parking lots and predetermined spaces on the Athletics Campus of the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. Green space within a parking lot or within 15 feet of a parking lot may be used for tailgating by the participants assigned to that parking lot. The following is the list of designated tailgating lots.
Disability Parking will be posted on GopherSports.com
- Discovery Lot
- Gateway Lot
- Gold Lot
- Gopher Lot
- Maroon Lot
- Minnesota Lot
- Ski-U-Mah Lot
- Victory Lot
- Lot C33
- Lot 37
- Lot 54
- Lot C55
- Lot C56
- Lot C58
- Lot C86
- State Fair Lots (Lot 108 based on lease agreement when State Fair is not in session)
Tailgating is not permitted anywhere else on University of Minnesota property, including lots not approved by ICA & PTS, parking ramps and parking garages.
Tailgating is restricted to the following times.
Tailgating may begin 6 hours before event start, but no earlier than 7:00 AM.
Tailgating must end 4 hours after event end, or 12:00 midnight, whichever comes first.
Weekday events may have varying hours (specific hours will be available on the event website).
RV tailgating lots may have varying hours (specific hours will be available on the event website).
When tailgating hours end, all tailgating supplies must be properly disposed of or stored in a vehicle. Vehicles may remain in a parking lot until the lot closes at midnight.
Activities and Equipment
The following items and activities are allowed in tailgating lots:
- Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds, in compliance with the Grilling provisions in Use and Leasing of Outdoor Space (specifically, the use of charcoal or wood is prohibited)
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in conformance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances, and University policies
- Portable outdoor furniture
- Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles, or require the use of stakes
- Portable generators, if their noise and exhaust does not interfere with others' enjoyment, and are safely used
- Propane-fueled patio heaters, with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds.
The following items and activities are NOT allowed in tailgating lots:
- Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, and large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages
- Glass containers of any kind, including bottles and cups
- All fires, regardless of fuel source. This prohibition includes fire pits, fire bowls, and torches. An exception is made for grilling used in the preparation of food, as outlined above.
- Pets, except service animals as defined in Administrative Policy: Animals on Campus
- Weapons, as defined in Board of Regents Policy: Possession and Carrying of Weapons (PDF)
- Disruptive music or noise
- Couches or other large furniture items
- Promotional or marketing activities without appropriate authorization from the University
- Sale of products, food, or beverages except as authorized by the University
- Occupying more than one parking space per parking pass
- Saving a parking space for someone else
- Obstructing adjacent parking spaces and drive aisles