Table of Contents
Please use the contact section in the governing policy.
For scientific studies that require participants to use tobacco, researchers must:
- obtain Institutional Review Board approval; and
- obtain permission from the Clinical and Translational Science Institute to utilize a smoking laboratory.
Traditional Native American Spiritual or Cultural Ceremonies Held Indoors
Traditional Native American spiritual or cultural use of tobacco is permitted without prior approval. To ensure that traditional Native American spiritual or cultural ceremonies held indoors do not inadvertently activate fire alarms or sprinkler systems, event organizers must contact Facilities Management on their campus and obtain a "hot work permit" a minimum of one week in advance of the use. Facilities Management staff will work with the applicant to determine how to best accommodate the exception. There is no cost for requests received one week in advance; shorter notice may incur overtime charges depending on the availability of staff to accommodate the request.
Facilities Management contacts by campus
Crookston: call 218-281-8483 or email [email protected]
Duluth: call 218-726-8262 or email [email protected]
Rochester: call 507-258-8217 or email [email protected]
Twin Cities: contact the Facilities Management District Team Manager for the building where the ceremony is planned
For theatrical productions where performers use tobacco as part of the theatrical performance, theater staff must:
- provide notice of tobacco use in a performance to patrons in advance;
- include notice of tobacco use in performance programs; and
- contact Facilities Management on their campus (see contacts above) and obtain a "hot work permit" a minimum of one week in advance of the first performance.
Facilities Management staff will work with the applicant to determine how to best accommodate the exception.