The table below provides guidance for the review of requests to engage in outside consulting and other external professional commitments.
|Possible Conflict of Commitment Area
||Factors to Consider When Reviewing Report or Request
|Activity may interfere with the performance of regular employment
||Faculty member must be able to continue normal teaching, research, service, and departmental participation or professional/academic staff member must be able to maintain regular job responsibilities
- Will faculty member be able to continue to meet classes?
- Will faculty member be able to continue to meet departmental goals and expectations regarding scholarly activity and service?
- Will faculty member continue to be able to participate actively in departmental affairs?
- Will the professional/administrative employee be able to meet job expectations?
- Can reasonable accommodations be made to facilitate proposed activity in light of responsibilities?
- Should a reduction of the term of appointment (or a leave) be considered?
|Activity involves teaching at another school or an online course
||Outside commitment may not compete with courses or services offered by the University
- Is the course or subject offered at units at the University?
- Does it diffuse the uniqueness and quality of the U's offerings?
- Might students at other institution enroll in University academic programs or take University coursework?
|Activity involves conducting research through an outside entity
||Outside commitment may not interfere with performance
- Does this compete with contract opportunities for the University?
- Can the individual conduct the research at the University?
- Is this kind of research within the mission of the unit?
- Is the individual on a full-time (75% time or greater) appointment?
|Activity involves serving as officer of professional society or editor of professional journal
||Benefits of assuming professional leadership responsibilities for institutional reputation and personal career development need to be taken into account in considering relief from normal job responsibilities.
- How will professional leadership enhance the reputation of the institution, department, or individual?
- The significance of the proposed leadership role
- The extent and duration of the potential impact on the individuals' teaching and research load.
- The impact of professional service on University resources