Construction Site Activities
Building permits will be issued for general construction, construction of utilities or grading.
The Building Code Department (BCD) will inspect construction projects. When BCD finds that a project affecting more than 1 acre of land or erosion control plan is not in compliance with its Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) or a project affecting more than 3,000 ft2 is not in compliance with its erosion control plan the following steps will be taken :
- A verbal discussion with the Contractor will point out deficiencies.
- If a verbal instruction does not resolve the deficiency, the inspector will immediately inform the Capital Project Manager (CPM) who will direct the contractor to correct the violation in a reasonable time.
- If the project fails to correct the violation within the specified time, the Building Official shall issue necessary notices or orders to ensure compliance. Work on the project may be suspended until compliance is achieved.
- If the project fails to correct the violation within the specified time, the AVP for University Health and Safety and the AVP for Facilities Management will work with the AVP for Capital Project Management to resolve the non-compliance issue.
When a source of illicit discharge is discovered, the following course of action will be taken:
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (DEHS) direct those responsible for the discharge to stop the discharge. Those responsible may clean up the discharge or the University may take responsibility for managing the discharge as specified in the University’s Emergency Operations Plan.
- DEHS will investigate the cause of the discharge, and assist the department responsible for the discharge to take appropriate corrective actions.
- If applicable, DEHS will report the discharge to the Minnesota Duty Officer and will submit any written reports required by regulatory agencies.
- The party responsible for the discharge will be responsible for paying for any monetary fines assessed by a regulatory agency and any related cleanup and response costs.