Each University unit reviews and maintains, within the Delegations of Authority System, all of the delegations for their unit. Managers are encouraged to examine the designated authorities for positions that report to them, if delegations have been assigned, when conducting their annual reviews. If the delegations do not match with practice, this provides an opportunity to determine if either a clarification or a change is needed.
- Each individual in a position with one or more delegations of authority (delegators) will determine when one or more of their employees’ positions should be assigned a delegation of authority, have an existing delegation revised, or have a delegation removed from that position.
- If adding a delegation, the delegator determines whether or not a limitation should be placed on the delegation (e.g., may not sub-delegate, a dollar threshold, or other restriction on the subdelegation).
- If changes (additions, edits, limitations, or removals) are needed, the delegator will communicate these changes (by email or in writing) to their designated Delegations of Authority Specialist (DOA Specialist).
- DOA Specialists complete the requested maintenance in the delegations system per procedures described on the Job Aid: Managing Delegations of Authority (PDF).
Notification to Delegatees
- Delegators or their designates notify their delegatees that their position has been assigned one or more signature authorities, or when delegations of authority are being revised or removed from a delegatee. The notification includes an effective date for the change.
- Delegators or the designates will make the notification available, if requested by the Office of Institutional Compliance (OIC).
- A copy of the notification is attached to the employee's personnel file.
Annual Review and Update
- OIC sends out an annual reminder to DOA Specialists for dissemination to their respective delegators/units. The reminder includes a spreadsheet of the existing active delegations.
- The DOA Specialists disseminate this information within their units for confirmation.
- Delegators either provide their DOA Specialists with new/revised information, or confirm that the delegations are current and accurate.
- Once the work is completed within the unit, the DOA Specialist will notify OIC that the report has been reviewed and any necessary changes have been made.