Smoking is prohibited in all facilities owned or leased by the University of Minnesota. Smoking is also prohibited within 25 feet of the exterior entrances to University owned facilities on the Morris campus or facilities fully leased to the University of Minnesota Morris.
Smoking will be permitted in University facilities in these situations:
- Peer reviewed, approved scientific studies related to the health effects of smoking, sanctioned and formally approved by the University.
- Theatrical productions approved by the University and where actors and actresses are permitted to smoke as part of the theatrical performance. Notice of smoking in a performance must be given to patrons in advance and will be included in the performance programs.
Reason for Policy
To implement the Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act. To implement the commitments of Board of Regents Policy: Health and Safety. The protection of the health and safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors is a primary responsibility of the Regents of the University of Minnesota.
Smoking is widely recognized as the single most important cause of preventable human disease, including lung cancer, heart disease, and emphysema. Also recognized is the fact that breathing second-hand smoke can cause the same health problems in non-smokers. This policy is implemented to protect employees, students, and visitors to the University community from the hazards of second-hand smoke and to protect the rights of the non-smoking community to breathe smoke-free air.
|Primary Contact||Bryan Herrmann
Vice Chancellor for Finance and Facilities, Morris
|Morris||Morris: Health Services||320-589-6070||[email protected]|
|Reporting Smoking Violations||Your supervisor
Anonymous Reporting: UReport
|Smoking Cessation Information||Human Resources Employee Assistance Program||612-627-4247||[email protected]|
- September 2015 - Posted as applying to Morris Campus only. Removed references in Contacts, Related Information and Responsibilities to non-Morris information. Other campuses follow Adminnistrative Policy: Smoke and Tobacco Free Campus.
- July 2011 - Comprehensive Review; Main contact for policy questions is now the FM Call Center. Added reference to Board of Regents Policy: Health and Safety and Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act; added definitions; added exception provisions; clarified roles and responsibilities.
- October 2004 - Eliminated smoking from all resident rooms and from within 25 feet of all building entrances. Smoking used to be allowed in designated resident rooms.
- April 1998
- Twin Cities Campus Assembly's Twin Cities Campus Smoke-Free Policy, June 1993 and Smoke Free Indoor Air Policy, August 1993.