- Directs the employee to the policy, procedure, and the packet of information and forms contained in the appendices.
- Certifies employee eligibility, determines years of service, and calculates amount of severance pay.
- Obtains necessary signatures on the Non-Renewal Program Agreement and provides severance benefits information.
- Forwards the original signed agreement with a copy of the non-renewal letter to Employee Benefits for retention.
- Enters appropriate information into the HRMS system.
- Verifies division/department calculation of pay out and years of service.
- Assists division/departments when questions arise concerning eligibility, determination of years of service, and calculation of severance pay.
- Assists employee with questions regarding the program and its benefits.
- Processes lump-sum and vacation payments.
Steps to follow:
- Step 1. Complete and sign the Non-Renewal Program Agreement and the Benefits Election form by the last day of employment or earlier. Note that you have the right to consult with an attorney.
- Step 2. Return the Non-Renewal Program Agreement and the Benefits Election form to your department. Your application must be handed in to the responsible administrator/supervisor by (1) the last day of your employment, (2) the 60th calendar day following the issue date of your notice of non-renewal, or (3) by the ending date of this program, whichever occurs first.
- Step 3. Sign the Release on your last day of employment. (A Release signed prior to the last day of employment will not be accepted.)
- Step 4. Send the Release to Employee Benefits. Your benefits under this program will NOT be paid until the signed Release has been received by Employee Benefits.
- Step 5. Contact the Employee Benefits Service Center at 612-624-9090 or 800-756-2363 and press option 2 with questions.
This procedure should be followed in a timely manner to avoid a delay in severance payment and/or continuation of insurance coverage. Severance should be received no later than four weeks after the last day of employment, provided that the Release is received in a timely manner.