APPENDIX TO POLICY
Department Checklist (Non-Renewal Program for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees)
Please circulate this checklist with the documents. This checklist does not need to be returned to Employee Benefits. Please complete all steps in a timely manner.
Note: The non-renewed employee who elects the non-renewal package may not be rehired at the University for the number of weeks covered by the lump sum payment.
- The employee turns in the Non-renewal Program Agreement and the Benefits Election form to the department.
- Certify employee's eligibility for the program, determine years of service, and calculate severance pay. (See Definitions in Policy for determining years of service.)
- Complete the department's section of the Agreement. Department head or administrator must sign the Agreement.
- Photocopy the Agreement.
- Forward the original Agreement for the appropriate signatures (dean or administrative officer and vice-president).
- HRMS Data Entry:
See also "Ending an Appointment Using a Severance Package" found at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/prod/groups/ohr/@pub/@ohr/documents/asset/ohr_25867.pdf.
- Insert Action Term w/Benefits with appropriate reason with effective date one day after last day of work.
- On the payroll tab, keep the person in Pay Group of PAY, and change Employee Type to H (Hourly).
- If the person was Salaried (not Hourly or Exception Hourly)
- On the Compensation tab, change the Frequency to H (do not change standard hours).
- Change the Rate Code to NAHRLY, and the hourly Comp Rate to the appropriate rate (ABBR / hours in appointment term).
- Click on Earnings Distribution.
- Add a row and put in an effective date of the Term w/Benefits row.
- Change encumbrance flag to N for None if the account is non-sponsored and D for Draw Down if the account is sponsored. (An edit checks for this as well.)
- Save the job record
- Check to see if the person has any Additional Pay. Go to Home > Compensate Employees > Maintain Payroll Data (US) > Use > Additional Pay. If there is Additional Pay, complete a correction form and fax it to the HRMS Call center (612-625-2979) and indicate the End Date using the last day of work (1 day prior to TWB row on job).
- If there was Additional Pay and the last day worked was not the last day of the pay period, you must go to Pay Entry and save the page to pay the portion of additional pay for which the employee is eligible.
Warning - A mid-pay period add or change to a row requires a view & save in Pay Entry.
Pay Entry will display the prorated amount/hours for an add or change that does not begin on the first work day of the pay period or end on the last workday of the pay period. You must SAVE the displayed calculated amount/hours for changes other than the following Job data actions: Hire, Addl Job, Rehire, Layoff, LOA, Recall, Retirement, Short W/Break, Suspension, Termination, Return-Dis, Return-LOA, Return-SWB.
- Forward the original signed Release on or after the last day worked.
- Forward the Benefits Election form that the employee must complete to continue medical and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, and the health care reimbursement account.
- Send the original Agreement, after it has been signed by all parties, to Employee Benefits for retention in the employee personnel file.
For Policy and Payroll questions, call the Employee Benefits Service Center at 612-624-9090 or 1-800-756-2363, and press option 2.