Printed on: 05/21/2018. Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
APPENDIX TO POLICY
Positions for Which Background Verification Is Advisable
For those individuals not required to undergo a background check, there are a number of positions for which it is recognized that background verification would be advisable:
- Having access to controlled substances
- Having access to cash in excess of $5,000 at any one time
- Receiving or delivering merchandise items with a value exceeding $5,000
- Having access to select biological/biochemical agents, as defined by the U.S. Patriot Act of 2001
- Finalists who indicate a prior conviction on their application
- Positions within human resources or information technology departments or performing those functions
- Having responsibility for the care, safety, and security of people or property
- Having direct access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information
- Having authority to commit financial resources of the University through contract greater than $5,000
- Having control over campus business processes, either through financial rules or system security access
- Having access to detailed personally identifiable information about students, faculty, staff or alumni, which might enable identity theft
- Having possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access.