Requesting a New Supplier or Changing an Existing Supplier
The purpose of this procedure is to define the process for requesting a new supplier or a change to an existing supplier record in EFS.
A supplier number is required for all payments except as allowed under the "Making Payments Using Single Payment Supplier Numbers" and "Utilizing University of Minnesota Bank Accounts". The Supplier Authorization Form: New Supplier UM1679A along with an IRS W9 or W8 is required for all new supplier requests. In addition, if the new supplier is classified as a sole proprietor or individual, an Independent Contractor Checklist form UM1650 is required. Requests to change a supplier record require the Supplier Authorization Form: Changes to an Existing Supplier UM 1679B. Additional forms or documentation may be required depending upon what changes are needed. Supplier requests are verified against SAM (System for Award Management) and other reporting databases to ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
|Form Name||Form #||Definition|
|Supplier Authorization Form: New Supplier||UM 1679A||Form used by departments to create a new supplier record in EFS. This form is required, as it gathers all the necessary information so the supplier can be properly set up in EFS.|
|Supplier Authorization Form: Changes to an Existing Supplier||UM 1679B||Form used by departments to request changes to an existing EFS supplier record. This form is required, as it gathers all the necessary information so the supplier record can be properly changed in EFS.|
|W9||IRS||IRS form to collect tax ID from supplier used to determine the correct tax reporting status for the supplier.|
|W8BEN||IRS||IRS form to collect tax information from a foreign individual used to determine the correct tax reporting status for the person.|
|W8BEN-E||IRS||IRS form to collect tax information from a foreign organization used to determine the correct tax reporting status for the supplier.|
Independent Contractor Authorization Form
|UM 1650||Internal data form required when the supplier indicates on the W9 that their tax status is an Individual or Sole Proprietor. The form is used to determine whether an employer/employee relationship exists for employment tax purposes and to ensure that the supplier is set up for the correct tax reporting.|
Responsibilities for Supplier Requests
|Supplier Maintenance (Purchasing Services)||
Before making any supplier record requests, first search for an existing supplier:
Search for the supplier by name and address in PeopleSoft (EFS) by navigating to: Suppliers > Supplier Information > Add/Update > UM Review Suppliers
If the supplier is not set up, follow the Request a New Supplier process. If the supplier is already set up but needs changes,follow the procedures for Changes to an Existing Supplier. Each supplier request must be submitted individually with all required documents attached in one submission.
Request a New Supplier:
- Obtain a completed IRS W9 or W8 form from the supplier.
- Obtain the purchase order and remit to address from the supplier. The University employee types the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679A including the description of services and the University contact information.
- If the supplier indicates that they are an Individual or Sole Proprietor on their W9, the department must complete the Independent Contractor Authorization Form UM1650 and submit it with the Form UM 1679A.
- Email the Supplier Authorization Form (UM 1679A), IRS W9 or W8 form, and the Independent Contractor Authorization Form (when applicable) to Supplier Maintenance at email@example.com
Important: the email’s subject header must be NEW. Anything other than the three characters of NEW will be automatically rejected by the email program associated to this email address. Do not use commas, hyphens, special symbols or characters in your file names. The system will reject those.
- Supplier Maintenance will review the request and set up the supplier record in PeopleSoft (EFS).
- Once completed, Supplier Maintenance will notify the requester listed on the Supplier Authorization Form via email and provide the new supplier record number.
Changes or Additions to an Existing Supplier:
- Determine what information needs to be changed or added. The University employee types the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679B to indicate which supplier number needs updates and describes what information needs changes.
- If the request is for a legal name change or reactivation of the supplier record (yet the tax ID number remains the same), a new W9/W8 from the supplier is required.
- If the supplier has a brand new tax ID, follow the Request a New Supplier process (listed above) instead..
- Email the completed request to firstname.lastname@example.org. This address is a Perceptive Content (imaging system) drawer that is used only for imaging, not for correspondence. It is not monitored for messages. Requests sent to that address are automatically imaged and sent to the EFS Supplier Maintenance team.
IMPORTANT: The imaging system (Perceptive Content) will automatically reject your request if the following aren’t correct:
- Email’s subject must be the ten digit EFS supplier ID number. The system will reject anything and everything
- If there are multiple attachments associated to your request, each form must be its own file. Do not combine this form and the W-9 together into one file. Combined attachments cannot be accepted and will be returned to the requester.
- Do not use commas, hyphens, symbols, or special characters in your file names. The system will reject those.
- Supplier Maintenance will review the request and modify the supplier record in PeopleSoft (EFS).
- Supplier Maintenance will notify the requester listed on the Supplier Authorization Form via email to confirm the changes were made.
Questions? Contact (612) 624-1617 or email@example.com.
|Type of Change||Action|
|Address change or add a new address (order, remit or 1099)||Type the full address in the appropriate section of the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679B.|
|Open a supplier for ordering status||If an existing supplier is not open for ordering, a new W9 must be submitted along with a Supplier Authorization Form 1679B.|
|Pay Lag change (University standard is 30 days).||Open a ticket with University Financial Helpline at 612-624-1617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the supplier name, supplier number and the new pay lag terms requested. The request must include a business justification for the change of terms. If the requested terms are not favorable to the University, the request may require Purchasing approval.|
|Add or change a dispatch method (University standard is Email)||Indicate on the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679B the specific address number and location that the new dispatch method relates to on the form|
|Supplier name change||Submit a new W9 for the supplier along with the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679Bindicating a name change. Supplier Maintenance will review the documents submitted and either establish a new supplier number or change the existing supplier name.|
|Supplier tax status or tax ID change||Submit a new W9 for the supplier along with the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679B indicating the change of tax information. Supplier Maintenance will review the documents submitted and either establish a new supplier number or change the existing supplier name.|
|Purchasing or Remit contact name/phone/email change or new contact information||Indicate on the Supplier Authorization Form UM 1679Bthe specific address number and location that the new dispatch method relates to on the form. If adding a new location or address, type the new contact information on the form.|
- UM 1679A Supplier Authorization Form - New Supplier, UM 1679B Supplier Authorization Form: Changes to an Existing Supplier
- UM 1650 Independent Contractor Authorization Form (IC)
- W9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (UM 1679 Supplier W9)
- W8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding (for individuals)
- W8BEN-E Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United State Tax Withholding