University of Minnesota  Procedure

Reporting Accidents and Claims


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

In the event of an accident or occurrence, employees are instructed to complete the appropriate claim form and submit within filing deadlines.

  1. General Liability (Bodily Injury or Property Damage to Non-University parties) – At the request of an injured third party, complete Bodily Injury/Property Damage Incident Report Form UM 1707 (DOCX).
  2. Professional Liability – Report any potential claim to the Office of the General Counsel.
  3. Health Sciences & Health Services Medical Malpractice – Report any potential claim to Academic Health Center Counsel:

    Susan G. Kratz
    Email:  [email protected]  
    Phone:  612-626-4999

  4. Automobile Liability – Refer to Fleet Services Report an Accident website.
  5. University Property Damage/Loss – Complete Property Loss Report – University Property Form UM1731 (PDF). All required documentation must be submitted to the Office of Risk Management within 180 days of accident. A 10% monthly late penalty may be applied to the total amount of the claim for any claims submitted more than 180 days post accident date. Claim submissions received later than 12 (twelve) months from the date of occurrence may be reimbursed at the discretion of the Office of Risk Management and Insurance.
  6. University Computer/EDP Damage/Loss – Complete Property Loss Notice – Laptop Computer Program Form UM1532 (PDF).
  7. Other – contact the Office of Risk Management.