University of Minnesota  Procedure

Capital Equipment Disposals: Trade-In


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

Trading in Capital Equipment Assets

Departments can trade-in existing capital equipment assets on new capital equipment asset purchases.  The University must have title to the equipment before it can be traded-in.  Accounting Services can verify the University has title to the equipment.  Contact Accounting Services at [email protected] for assistance in determining ownership.

Departments must:

  1. Complete UM 1744: Capital Equipment Asset Trade In Form (PDF) from the Forms Library.
    • Indicate how much trade-in allowance or value you are receiving from the vendor
    • Reference the purchase order and voucher number of the new item(s) to be obtained in the trade
  2. Forward the form to Accounting Services at [email protected].
    • Dean, department head, or administrator's signature is required on this form. Approval authorization can be delegated based on the President's Delegations of Authority Program:  FN02 - External sales of good and services.
  3. Accounting Services will review the form to ensure the University has title to the asset.
  4. If Accounting Services authorizes the request, an approved copy will be sent back to the submitting department.
    • The trade-in cannot occur if it has not been approved by Accounting Services
  5. When the approved copy is received by the department, the property may be traded-in for the new equipment.
  6. The UM asset tag should be removed before the item leaves the University premises.
  7. Accounting Services will make the appropriate adjustments in the PeopleSoft Asset Management module.