Capital Equipment Disposals: Scrap, Recycle or Cannibalize
Requesting to Scrap, Recycle, or Cannibalize Capital Equipment Assets
Departments can elect to scrap, recycle or cannibalize a capital equipment asset that is no longer used. The University must have title to the capital equipment assets that are scrapped, recycled or cannibalized. Inventory Services can verify the University has title to the equipment. Contact Inventory Services at email@example.com for assistance in determining ownership.
- Complete form UM 1393: Capital Equipment Asset Disposal from the UWide Forms Library.
- Forward the form to Inventory Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dean, department head, or administrator's signature is required on this form. Approval authorization can be delegated based on the President’s Delegations of Authority Program: FN02 - External sales of good and services.
- Inventory Services will review the form to ensure the University has title to the asset.
- If Inventory Services authorizes the disposal, an approved copy will be sent back to the submitting department.
- The disposal cannot occur if it has not been approved by Inventory Services.
- When the approved copy is received by the department, the property may be sent to the recycling center.
- The UM asset tag should be removed before the item leaves the University premises.
- The recipient must sign a receipt for the property. The receipt must be retained by the department, along with the approved Capital Equipment Asset Disposal form
- Inventory Services will make the adjustment in the PeopleSoft Asset Management module.
Scrap or recycled items can be sent to the Como Recycling Facility or the ReUse Center by contacting one of the vendors below to arrange transportation:
- Facilities Management ReUse Program at 612-626-9152
- Alexander’s Mobility Services at 952-881-4128
- Copeland Truc-King Inc. at 763-572-0505 or
- Roadrunner at 800-325-6522
Unwanted computer equipment will be picked up free of charge by Dynamic Recycling, email email@example.com or call toll free at 877-781-4030.