Donating Unused or Unserviceable Capital Equipment Assets
Departments can donate capital equipment assets to non-profit or government-recognized charitable organizations. Donated capital equipment assets must be fully depreciated before they can be donated and the University must have title to the asset. Inventory Services can verify the University has title to the equipment. Contact Inventory Services at email@example.com for assistance in determining ownership.
Capital equipment assets purchased with sponsored funds:
- Federally sponsored funds: Not allowed
- Non-federally sponsored funds: Follow steps below.
- Determine the net book value (NBV) by using the existing asset management reports in UMReports or by a query in the PeopleSoft Asset Management module.
- For assistance in determining the NBV or ownership, please contact Inventory Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete form UM 1393: Capital Equipment Asset Disposal from the UWide Forms Library.
- The recipient should be:
- A non-profit or government-recognized charitable organization, e.g. schools or churches are examples of charitable organizations.
- Cannot be an individual
- Individuals may acquire University-owned equipment by purchasing from the department with custodial responsibility. Refer to Administrative Procedure: Selling Capital Equipment Assets to External Entities or Employees
- Forward the form to Inventory Services at email@example.com
- Dean, department head, or administrator's signature is required on this form. Approval authorization can be delegated based on the President's Delegations of Authority Program: FN02 - External sales of good and services.
- Inventory Services will review the donation to ensure it is fully depreciated, the University has title to the asset, and the donation is to a charitable organization.
- If Inventory Services authorizes the donation, an approved copy will be sent back to the submitting department.
- The donation cannot occur if it has not been approved by Inventory Services.
- When the approved copy is received by the department, the property may be given to the recipient.
- The UM asset tag should be removed before the item leaves the University premises.
- The recipient must sign a receipt for the property. The receipt must be retained by the department, along with the approved Capital Equipment Asset Disposal
- Inventory Services will make the appropriate adjustments in the PeopleSoft Asset Management module.