Equipment Used Off Campus
An equipment item owned by or controlled by the University of Minnesota might need to be used at a non-University location. Such off-campus use of the equipment item must be for University business and must contribute to the mission of the University. A non-University location is a location that is not listed in the Office of Space Management's space database. The use of a capital or sponsor-furnished equipment asset off campus for more than one month must be approved and documented on a completed and signed form UM 1677: Capital Equipment Asset Off-campus Use Form, prior to the removal of the equipment item from the University.
Off-campus Use - Capital or Sponsor-furnished Equipment
- The department identifies the need for the off-campus use of a capital or sponsor-furnished equipment asset. If no bar-coded capital equipment asset tag is affixed to the equipment item, then the department must contact Accounting Services for assistance at [email protected]. The capital or sponsor-furnished capital equipment asset must not leave the University before a capital equipment asset tag has been affixed.
- The department completes form UM 1677: Capital Equipment Asset Off-campus Use Form.
- The department submits the completed form UM 1677 to Accounting Services.
- Accounting Services receives and reviews the completed form UM 1677. If the off-campus use of the equipment item is approved, then Accounting Services signs the completed form UM 1677. If the off-campus use is not approved, then Accounting Services does not process the completed form UM 1677 and returns it to the department with an explanation of the denial.
- Accounting Services adjusts the record of the equipment item to reflect its use off campus.
- Accounting Services retains the original signed form UM 1677 and returns to the department a copy of the signed form UM 1677.
- The department receives a copy of the signed form UM 1677 from Accounting Services.
- The department moves the equipment item to the off-campus location for use.
- The department notifies Accounting Services of the return to the University of the equipment item. The notification to Accounting Services must be made to [email protected] and must reference the document number that is applied to the signed form UM 1677 by Accounting Services.
- Accounting Services adjusts the record of the equipment item to reflect its return to the University.
Off-campus Use - Non-capital Equipment
- The department identifies the need for the off-campus use of a non-capital equipment asset. The equipment item must be marked to identify it as property of the University of Minnesota.
- The department manages the non-capital equipment asset according to the policies and procedures of the department's Resource Responsibility Center (RRC).