Merchant Category Codes (MCC) are used to classify a supplier/merchant by type of goods or services it provides.
The following MCCs are blocked on procurement and travel cards. If there is a need for incurring an expense at any of the merchant types below, and the funding source for the University account is appropriate, submit a request to the Program Administrator to open the merchant. Please submit a written (e-mail) request from a Department Card Administrator.
- Bail, Bonds, and Payments
- Betting including: Lottery Tickets, Gaming Casino Chips, Off-Track Betting and Wagers at Race Tracks
- Billiard and Pool Establishments
- Cruise Lines/Steamships
- Dating and Escort Services
- Financial Institutions including ATM machines
- Food Stamps
- Foreign Currency, Travelers Checks
- Hotels, Motels (allowed on Travel Cards only)
- Massage Parlors
- Money Orders- Wire Transfer
- Package Stores- (Beer, Wine, and Liquor stores)
- Time Shares
In addition, there may be other merchant types that are blocked in order to reduce fraud.