Making Payments to a Third Party
Prior to payment.
- Confirm the individual receiving payment is an eligible human subject at the time of the research involvement and that IRB approval was current at the time of subject contact.
- Confirm that the individual will receive payment as a human subject rather than as a participant/consultant.
- Current IRB approval status must be confirmed before payment is initiated. Approval can be confirmed by a certified approver or by contacting the IRB office for assistance.
Any University research that uses humans, human tissue, surveys of human subjects, or human subjects’ records requires Institutional Review Board (IRB) review and approval, irrespective of its funding source. These conditions extend to all research such as social and behavioral sciences as well as research in the health and biological sciences. Further information regarding human subjects is available on the IRB website at http://www.research.umn.edu/subjects/#.UFdDqq6Fquk
Making Payment – options available.
- The University Procurement Card.
- Process the supplier invoice.
- Complete a Check Request Form (if an invoice cannot be obtained).
- For professional services under $3,000, process a VCPS requisition after the work is completed. The supplier’s invoice or a check request form must be imaged to support the transaction. The system will automatically create and process a payment voucher and dispatch a check to the supplier.
Maintain Confidentiality and Payment Records.
It is required that the confidentiality of the study and the human subject(s) be maintained. Therefore, any information identifying the human subject(s) or name of the study must be excluded from the payment documents and any attachments. All of the details should be maintained in the departmental files.
Forward document for processing.