Planning and Charging of the Enterprise Assessment
Planning for Enterprise System Assessment
The annual assessment rate and assessment methodology is reviewed annually by University Budget and Finance. The expected rate and the process by which the charges are assessed are outlined in the Annual Budget Instructions.
Departments should estimate the amount of the following fiscal year's Enterprise Assessment charges for their chartstrings during the budget process and budget the amount in each of their applicable fund-deptID-programs at that time. If new programs are established and budgeted mid-year, the 820200 account code budget line should be budgeted, using a budget journal entry, if an enterprise assessment is expected in the program.
Charging of the Enterprise System Assessment
The assessment is charged to individual fund-deptID-programs through the general ledger cost allocation process. This monthly process applies a set percentage set at 1.75% effective FY14, against certain salary expenditures in specific funds and creates an accounting transaction that is posted to the actuals general ledger.
- Assessment is based on actual salary expenditures in the following funds, with a few individual fund-deptID-program exceptions:
- State Appropriations and Tuition - fund 1000
- Auxiliary Services - fund 1100
- Other Unrestricted Funds - funds 1020, 1023, 1024, 1025, 1026
- Restricted State Specials - funds 1801-1807
- Non-sponsored Other Restricted - Private Practice - fund 1030
[Note: Federal stimulus funds 1613 and 1614 are excluded from the assessment]
- The assessment is charged at a fund-deptID-program level via a Journal Entry.
- The account code used for the assessment charge is 820201 - Enterprise Assessment
- The account code used for collection of the charges is 820477 - Univ Assessment Contra-Expense.
- Assessment occurs near the end of an accounting period based on actual salary expenses for that period. Both debits and credits to salary account codes are included in the assessment calculation.
Salary account codes (actuals) used in the calculation are reflected in table below:
|Final Bud Only Acct||Final Budget Only Account Description||Actuals Account||Actuals Account Description|
|700100||Salaries-Faculty-Fin Bdg Only||700101||Salaries-Faculty Regular|
|700120||Salaries-Faculty Fed Ben-FinBdg||700121||Salaries-Faculty Fed Benefits|
|700210||Salaries-Post Doc-FinBdg||700211||Salaries-Post Doc|
|700220||Salaries-P&A Fed Ben-FinBdg||700221||Salaries-P&A Prof Fed Benefits|
|700222||Salaries-P&A Admin Fed Benefits|
|700310||Salaries-Grad Asst/9535-FinBdg||700311||Salaries-Grad Asst/9535|
|700400||Salaries-UG/Pro-in-Trng-FinBdg||700401||Salaries-Professional in Trng|
|700500||Salaries-Civil Service-Fin Bdg||700501||Salaries - Civil Service|
|700520||Salaries-Trades-Fin Bdg Only||700521||Salaries-Trades|
Note: The following salary accounts are not included:
- Workstudy: 700351, 700451, 700452, 700551, 700552
- 27th Pay Date Accrual: 700801