University of Minnesota  FAQ

Promoting Timely Graduation by Undergraduates: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester

Expand all


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

Table of Contents

TOC placeholder
  1. How does a student declare a major?

    Students should talk to their academic advisor or their college or campus’s career services professionals to help clarify their goals. Colleges and campuses have their own policies and procedures for changing majors. Some majors may require an application or portfolio review.

  2. Can a student receive both a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in the same major from the University?

    No, a student may not earn two degrees in the same major (e.g., B.S. and B.A. in Economics) from any campus(es) of the University.

  3. Can a student receive both a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in a different major from the University?

    Yes, a student fulfilling requirements for two majors within different degree structures (e.g., one B.A. and one B.S.) can earn two degrees. The student must have completed all additional requirements for the degree, beyond completion of the major (e.g., the language requirement for a B.A. degree). A student may complete one set of liberal education/general education requirements to meet the requirements for both degrees.

  4. What is the difference between a double major and a second degree?

    A student earning more than one major but with both majors in the same degree structure (e.g., both as B.A. degrees or both as B.S. degrees) earns one degree with a double major (e.g. a B.A. degree, with majors in English and history). A student fulfilling requirements for two majors within different degree structures (e.g., one B.A. and one B.S.) can earn two degrees (e.g. a B.A. degree with a major in English, and a B.S. degree with a major in biology).

  5. How does this policy affect students who are doing a double major or seeking multiple minors?

    Students who are pursuing a double major should declare both majors within the recommended timelines for declaring a major. Students are discouraged from adding majors or minors later in their academic careers if doing so will delay timely graduation. Students have the option of pursuing a second major or a minor after graduation.

  6. Will a student with a permanent 13-credit exemption be required to declare/be accepted into a major by the term indicated?

    Students with an approved 13-credit exemption should work with an academic advisor to develop a modified benchmark for declaring a major.

  7. Can the University of Minnesota graduate an undergraduate student if that student has not applied to graduate?

    Yes, in circumstances where the student has completed all degree requirements, the University can clear the student for graduation and grant the degree. See Administrative Procedure: Administrative Degree Clearance.

  8. How does this policy apply to me if I am a degree-seeking student who is not attending full-time? Will a hold be placed on my record if I haven’t declared a major by the timelines given in this policy?

    The University recognizes that not all of our degree-seeking students are attending full-time. Some students are granted exemptions, allowing the student to enroll in fewer than 13 credits per semester. The student’s advising record shows that exemption, so the academic advisor will be aware that the student has approval for a reduced course load, and will take that into account in determining when that student should be expected to declare a major. See 13-Credit Policy for information about 13-credit exemptions. You are automatically exempt from the 13-credit rule if you work for the University and are enrolled in a course on a Regents Scholarship, or have a disability for which the Disability Resource Center has determined that a reduced credit load is an appropriate accommodation.

    Note that regardless of part-time or full-time enrollment status, a degree-seeking student who has declared and been accepted into a major will be expected to enroll in courses required for that major and in other courses necessary to complete University degree requirements. Students who fail to do so may have a hold placed on their student record.