Using Paper and Online Forms to Conduct Student Ratings
Each instructional unit must develop its own practices for ensuring that the completed forms are delivered promptly and without changes to the appropriate data-processing office and are handled appropriately as private data under Minnesota law.
Important reminder: Instructors may not be present when the evaluations are handed out, completed, and collected. Instructors may only see the completed forms after the instructor's grades have been turned in.
- Student-rating forms should be administered during a regular class period during the last two weeks of the term and in a class period that all students are expected to attend.
- The instructor or another individual within the unit may give instructions about filling out the forms.
- The forms are distributed to the students. The instructor may give instructions about filling out the forms, but the evaluations will be completed and collected without the instructor being present, although another faculty member or a staff member may be present to supervise the process. Once collected, evaluations will be put in a sealed envelope or box. A student may be asked to hand out and collect the forms.
- The sealed envelope or box is delivered promptly to the appropriate data-processing office.
- Instructors should encourage students to complete online evaluation forms.
- If an online rating form is administered during class time, the evaluations should be completed without the instructor present, although another faculty member or a staff member may be present to supervise the process.