University of Minnesota  FAQ

Student Travel and Education Abroad


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

  1. Is the policy different on various campuses?

    No. The policy governs all University-purpose travel by undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree students (including residents and fellows) across the 5-campus system. All colleges, departments, programs, research centers, institutes, business centers, offices, or other operating units, including education abroad offices, are subject to this policy. However, the education abroad offices on each campus may have additional requirements beyond those in this policy.

  2. What are the differences as to the application of this policy to undergraduate and graduate/professional degree students?

    From the perspective of student responsibilities, there is no difference between undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree students. There is also no difference in the requirements where a unit is supporting student travel that they did not organize or promote.

    Where units are promoting or organizing programs, there is only one difference in unit requirements depending on student type: if the students are undergraduates, units must work through one of the education abroad offices before the program is promoted. Regardless of student type and a unit’s collaboration with an education abroad office, the other unit requirements remain the same.

  3. If I am an international student and/or traveling to my country of citizenship, am I subject to this policy?

    Yes. All students, regardless of origin, who are traveling for University purposes are required to satisfy the student requirements detailed in the policy. This policy does not apply to any students, including international students, who are traveling abroad for personal reasons.

  4. How does the policy apply if I am both University staff and a student?

    Where faculty and staff are also taking classes, they are faculty/staff when traveling for work and a student when traveling for their education/coursework. Travel as part of a graduate assistantship appointment or other appointment that requires student status is considered student travel and therefore is governed by this policy.

  5. Is travel through a University student group covered by the policy?

    There are two types of University student groups: Campus Life Programs (CLP) and Registered Student Organizations (RSO). A CLP is a voluntary association comprised primarily of students whose activities, operations, and decision-making processes are directly governed by University academic or administrative departments and for which the University is ultimately responsible. CLPs must be affiliated with a University of Minnesota academic or administrative department and have a designated University faculty or staff advisor. The sponsoring or affiliated department, through the designated faculty or staff advisor, is responsible for ensuring compatibility between the group’s operations and actions and University interests. The CLP and its advisor must comply with all policies and procedures for CLPs, as identified within student-group and University policies. University Recognized Organizations at Morris are treated like CLPs for the purpose of this policy.

    An RSO is a voluntary association comprised primarily of students that does not have a direct relationship to the University. RSOs are independent and autonomous from the University and are responsible for managing their own affairs. RSOs are not units or agents of the University, and they should not represent themselves as such. Events and activities conducted by RSOs are not considered University sponsored under this policy. RSOs will comply with all relevant policies and procedures, as identified within student-group and University policies.

    Students traveling with a CLP must comply with this policy. Students traveling with an RSO are not subject to this policy unless the student(s):

    • will fulfill a University requirement (credit or not) while traveling;
    • will use University funds to participate; or
    • are relying on the support of a University unit, faculty, or staff member to organize, fund, or prepare for the activity.
  6. Is travel to a U.S. territory considered international travel? What about Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, and Canada?

    Travel to any country (including Mexico and Canada) or territory outside the continental U.S. (such as American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island) is considered international travel for purposes of this policy. Travel to Alaska and Hawaii is not considered international travel.

  7. Whom do I contact in an emergency while abroad?

    The primary and first contact will be the onsite program staff or a faculty/staff program leader. However, a student should use their best judgment as to whether police or emergency medical staff need to be contacted immediately. As a secondary contact, any University traveler abroad can always contact the University’s international emergency phone number (612.301.2255).

    The emergency contact at the University should also be notified of any medical situation, incident, or emergency abroad. If an emergency communications plan was created, it is extremely important that the emergency contact and other relevant parties at the University be familiar with the procedures and contacts listed in that plan because communications procedures may differ based on the situation. If the travel is facilitated through an education abroad office, that office will be able to assist in the event of an emergency.

    The Director of International Health, Safety, and Compliance, or designate, will always be available to support the education abroad offices and units in responding to emergencies and assuring appropriate tracking of incident data.

  8. Can I opt out of the mandatory medical and evacuation insurance while traveling for University purposes?

    Insurance application and opt-out waivers are managed either through an education abroad office or as part of the travel registration process. Exceptions are unlikely. Regardless of whether or not the insurance is waived, travelers still must complete the other requirements of this policy.

  9. Are there countries to which students cannot travel or that follow a different procedure than seeking ITRAAC approval for travel to a U.S. Department of State Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory location?

    Yes. All students (as well as faculty and staff) traveling to embargoed countries must consult with the University’s Export Controls Officer and Designated Cuba Representative prior to departure to learn whether travel is permitted for their proposed purpose, whether any special government licenses are required, and whether there are any restrictions on items they may wish to bring along. Embargoed countries are countries to which U.S. law significantly restricts travel and exports.

    Students will be automatically connected to the Export Controls Officer and Designated Cuba Representative upon registration of their travel; however, students are encouraged to contact them directly as soon as they begin contemplating travel to an embargoed country because travel may be restricted or require licenses that take several months to secure. Embargoed countries are also likely subject to an elevated USDOS travel advisory, so students or faculty/staff/units facilitating student travel may also be required to follow Administrative Procedure: Travel Approval (ITRAAC).

    Additionally, the University will not authorize student travel to any location for which the State Department has issued a mandatory evacuation order. ITRAAC reviews current and potential student travel when a significant health or safety concern arises regarding that travel. The University, in its sole discretion, may deny or withdraw approval for international travel at any time.

  10. Why does the University regulate student travel to USDOS Travel Advisory locations?

    Most U.S. institutions regulate student travel using the same standards. The goal of regulating student travel to such locations is to assure preparation and risk mitigation approaches to minimize health and safety risks of students traveling internationally. The goal is not to evaluate the academic merits of an opportunity. Instead, the process takes the student, advisor, and Dean’s word as to the academic merit of any experience and considers only the risks and mitigation plans. The Provost monitors committee discussions with an eye toward academic freedom. The Provost will also make a final decision regarding travel approval should Committee members fail to reach a consensus.

  11. What are the consequences if a student travels without following this policy and procedures?

    If a student travels without following this policy and required procedures, the student is no longer traveling for University purposes and is not a representative of the University. If traveling during a required term, the student must take a leave of absence from the University. Students on leave of absence from the University are not eligible for financial aid, scholarships, travel stipends, and other University supports, including credit. If a leave of absence is not an option, students who travel in violation of this policy risk losing their student status.

    Faculty or staff taking or accompanying students abroad or supporting student travel abroad in violation of this policy will not be acting within the scope of their employment and may not receive the legal protection provided to state employees acting within the scope of employment under Minnesota law. Further, violations of this and other University policies by staff and faculty are a violation of Board of Regents Policy: Code of Conduct (PDF).

  12. If I travel independently on the weekend, am I subject to this policy and University conduct requirements?

    Students traveling abroad for University purposes are held to this policy within the dates of their activity/program. This includes any weekend or overnight travel taken during the activity/program dates whether or not the travel is organized as a part of the activity/program. Personal travel outside of program/activity dates is not subject to this policy.