University of Minnesota  FAQ

Course Enrollment Limits and Cancellation: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

  1. Where can college guidelines on canceling low enrollment classes be found?

    Each college of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities should have its guidelines for canceling low enrollment classes on its website. Policies for the Crookston, Morris, and Rochester campuses can be obtained in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

  2. How is student financial aid impacted by class cancellations?

    Students’ credit hours are critical to financial aid eligibility and full-time enrollment is required for maximum eligibility for undergraduate aid. Different aid programs define full-time differently, for example the Minnesota State Grant Program defines full-time as 15 credits. Students can be required to repay grant funds if they have already received the funds. Students that fall below half-time enrollment can lose their status as in school and in deferment for previously borrowed funds.

  3. What should a department or instructor do if enrollment changes substantially after the first day of classes?

    If many students drop a course after the first day of classes, work with your department scheduler and the Office of the Registrar to review options.

  4. Does this policy apply to cancellations due to medical emergency or other unavailability of an instructor?

    Departments are expected to find alternate instructors whenever possible to continue offering a course. However, this policy applies to cancellations due to low enrollment and does not prohibit cancellation due to medical emergency or other extraordinary circumstances.