University of Minnesota  FAQ

Credit and Grade Point Requirements for an Undergraduate (Baccalaureate) Degree


Expand all


Table of Contents

TOC placeholder


Please use the contact section in the governing policy.

  1. What does it mean to have the University award the degree, rather than the college or the campus?

    The University of Minnesota is a system comprised of five campuses. The Board of Regents of the University award degrees on behalf of the entire University system.

    The diploma that is given to students specifies the degree awarded by the Regents (e.g., Bachelor of Science). The student's major(s) and minor(s) are not listed on the diploma.

    The student's transcript lists the academic program that awarded the major(s) and minor(s) (e.g., History) associated with the degree (e.g., Bachelor of Arts).

  2. Why can't a student earn a B.A. and B.S. in the same major?

    Since the content for the major is nearly identical in earning a B.A. and a B.S. degree in the same major area, students cannot earn two different degrees in the same content area. For example, a student is not permitted to earn both a B.A. and a B.S. in Physics.

  3. What is the difference between a second major and a second degree?

    A second major is an additional content area within the same degree structure. For example, a student could earn a B.A. degree with majors in Economics and Spanish. If a student has completed two majors within different degree structures, two degrees are awarded; an example would be a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in Spanish.

  4. Does a student need to meet a second set of liberal education/general education/breadth requirements if earning a second degree?


  5. Can a student earn a baccalaureate degree from the University in a content area in which the student already holds a baccalaureate degree from another non-U of M institution?


  6. I transferred in 30 credits from another institution. Are these grades included in my cumulative GPA?

    No. Only those credits earned from the University of Minnesota will be used in calculating the cumulative GPA. However, the transfer credits from the other institution may be used to fulfill degree requirements, where allowed by the department, college, or campus.

  7. How is the proportion of University S/N credits in the degree calculated?

    The calculation is based on the total number of University of Minnesota credits awarded, from all campuses. Credits attempted (i.e., courses with a grade of F or N) do not factor into this calculation. The calculation is as follows: the number of U of M credits awarded with a grade of "S" divided by the total of all U of M credits awarded.

  8. Do major required courses offered as S-N only count toward the limit of 20 S-N credits in the degree?

    Yes. Students should work with their academic advisor to determine when it is appropriate to take elective courses on the S-N grading basis.