Table of Contents
Please use the contact section in the governing policy.
- Student contacts a college with interest in returning to complete a U of M degree.
- Student completes Return to the U/readmission form.
- College identifies the student as a potential candidate for Academic Restoration. This means the student may meet the following criteria:
- be eligible for readmission to their intended college,
- have not taken University of Minnesota classes for a minimum of 5 years,
- intend to complete an undergraduate degree,
- lack a viable path to complete a U of M degree without Academic Restoration.
- Request submitted for review of eligibility:
- Request includes:
- Student name, ID, email address.
- Student’s stated goals for returning (degree, major).
- Representatives from OUE, OTR, and OSF/One Stop/OFAS meet to review the student record and advise the college. The focus of this initial review will be:
- Does the student meet Academic Restoration eligibility criteria?
- Does the student need to repeat courses for the intended degree program?
- Review potential obstacles for student (e.g. financial).
- Connect with system campus colleagues during this step to ensure system-wide consistency.
- A systemwide review is initiated by contacting the U of M Deputy Registrar.
- Update tracking spreadsheet with the decision.
- Decision communicated to the college and student.
- Student submits agreement, understanding of Academic Restoration criteria: 12 credits, 2.5 GPA.
- The college works with the student to plan for the 12 credits to be completed prior to the application of Academic Restoration.
- The student is also expected to meet with a One Stop financial aid counselor prior to enrolling.
- Develop a “Candidate for Academic Restoration” tag in APLUS to be added to the student record as they begin registering for the 12 credits.
- In parallel with adding an advising note document the Academic Restoration expectations communicated to the student.
- Upon the completion of 12 credits the student submits a Google form which is routed through their college, to OUE, and ends with OTR.
- Advisor removes APLUS tag: “Candidate for Academic Restoration”
- OTR updates the student record.