Academic Calendars: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
Responsible University Officer(s):
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education
- Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Education
Academic calendars will be established at least four years in advance so that students may plan their schedules and University units may plan events. Revisions to approved calendars must be made no less than two years before the date the calendar goes into effect.
A. Fall and Spring Semesters
- There will be two semesters, each of which will include a minimum of 70 days of instructions, a maximum of 75 days of instruction, and approximately one week of final examinations (including Saturdays but not Sundays).
- For the fall semester, the exam period will end no later than December 23.
- Colleges and campuses may authorize courses shorter or longer than the semester, subject to the approval of appropriate college or academic unit curriculum review committees.
- Professional schools are permitted to have calendars that vary from the requirements of this policy.
B. Summer Term
- Departments may schedule a three-week May session following the end of the spring semester and before the summer session. No department will be obligated to offer courses or academic work during this three-week session.
- There will be a standard eight-week summer session. No department will be obligated to offer courses or academic work during this eight-week session. Departments and programs may deliver courses over either shorter or longer periods of time and with starting and ending dates that differ from the standard eight-week and May sessions.
C. Revisions of Calendars
All calendars and any subsequent revisions or exceptions must be approved by the Faculty Senate.
This policy is not applicable to the Duluth campus.
REASON FOR POLICY
Establishing an academic calendar at least four years in advance allows students to plan their degree programs and enables University units to schedule events at times that do not conflict with other key activities.
|Primary Contact(s)||Stacey Tidballemail@example.com|
|Crookston Campus||Ken Myersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Duluth Campus||Vickery Frenchemail@example.com|
|Morris Campus||Darla Petersonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rochester Campus||Laura Walkeremail@example.com|
There are no definitions associated with this policy.
- Office of the Registrar
- Submits the academic calendar proposal annually to the Faculty Senate.
- Faculty Senate
- Reviews and approves final University calendar.
Campus Calendar Information
Each campus publishes dates and deadlines on their One Stop website.
- December 2009 - Policy now applies to the Crookston campus.
- April 2009