The University of Minnesota, Crookston (UMC) offers students the opportunity to submit the results of DSST Subject Examinations for credit. DSST exams are recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) and cover upper and lower level baccalaureate courses. UMC follows recommendations of the ACE College Credit Recommendation Service for amount of credit, area or course equivalent, level, and the minimum acceptable standard score, Credit earned through DSST Subject Exams may be used to fulfill liberal education requirements, to fulfill specific course requirements, or used as elective credits.
The following guidelines have been established for utilization of the Subject Examinations:
- A DSST Subject Examination may not be taken to establish credit for a course in which the student has earned credit in a higher-level sequential course.
- A student with previously earned credit in one course of a two-semester course sequence must petition the Academic Standards and Policy Committee (AS&P Committee) for approval before taking a DSST Subject Examination to receive credit for the second course in the sequence.
- A Subject Examination may be repeated no sooner than six months after the date of the last testing. Students should submit a petition to the AS&P Committee for permission to repeat an examination.
- A Subject Examination may not be used to establish credit in a subject that the student has previously failed.
- DSST credits awarded at another institution are not automatically accepted by UMC. The student must submit an original transcript of DSST scores for evaluation. All scores are evaluated according to UMC policy.
Reason for Policy
To provide credit for DSST exams.
- December 2019
Approved by Faculty Assembly on 11/15/2019.