University Emergency Paid Leave for COVID-19
Appendix to Policy
Reasons for University Emergency Paid Leave
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the State of Minnesota declared peacetime emergency, this policy ensures that employees have access to emergency paid leave for any COVID-19 related reasons in order to maintain the health and well-being of the University community. This Appendix operationalizes the administrative leave outlined in Administrative Policy: University State of Emergency: Human Resources Implications; it is not in addition to that leave.
As set forth below, the University provides emergency paid leave of up to 80 hours to eligible faculty, professional and administrative staff, civil service, labor represented, graduate assistants, professionals-in-training, and student workers (“eligible individuals”) to be used in the case of quarantine, isolation or family care needs related to COVID-19 exposure, illness or other related scenarios.
Employees will receive up to 80 hours (prorated for part-time employees) of University Emergency Paid Leave when they are unable to work or telework because of the following:
- they are subject to a government quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19;
- they have been advised by a healthcare provider to self-quarantine due to COVID-19;
- they are experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19 and are seeking a diagnosis;
- they are caring for an individual subject to or advised to quarantine or isolate; or
- they are caring for a child whose school or childcare is closed or unavailable, or assisting with the relocation of a college-age child due to COVID-19.
In any given week during the emergency, the employee may use up to the number of hours they would normally be scheduled to work in that for any of the reasons stated above. This leave must be taken during the term of the declared emergency, within normally scheduled work hours. University Emergency Paid Leave runs concurrently with eligible FMLA leave, if the type of absence qualifies.
Eligible individuals must notify their supervisor, and follow any unit work rules for calling in sick or reporting an absence.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this University Emergency Paid Leave different than the leave provided under the Federal Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act of 2020?
Yes, this University Emergency Paid Leave is in addition to the two weeks of emergency paid sick leave provided by federal law. Part-time employees are covered under the federal leave and entitled to the number of hours that they work, on average, over a two-week period.
- If an eligible employee uses University Emergency Paid Leave, does the employee also have to use paid medical or sick leave?
No, this University Emergency Paid Leave is related to COVID-19, and is in addition to paid medical leave or sick leave for which the employee may be eligible. This policy is temporary and continues for the duration of the University's declared peacetime emergency.
- Can voluntary short term disability coverage through Unum be used if an employee is currently covered?
Yes, this is a fully insured product. The employee would continue to follow the standard process to file a claim directly with Unum. The approval and payment process from Unum does not impact paid time received under this policy.