Chalking on University of Minnesota campuses is limited to registered student groups, official University departments or offices, faculty members, staff members, and registered students.
- Chalking is permitted only in open areas on a horizontal surface, such as sidewalks or plazas, not covered by an overhang.
- Chalking must be for only a campus-wide event or program, an event open to all students or services provided by a University department.
- Chalking must bear the name of and be signed by the sponsoring University department or registered student group.
- The material used to mark the walk must be water-soluble chalk (sidewalk chalk).
- Chalking may be in place for a maximum of 10 days.
Violations of this procedure constitute grounds for removal of the material by the campus facilities management unit, which reserves the right to charge for the cost of removal and any associated repairs to the sponsoring organization.
- The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, or sprayable chalk is prohibited.
- Chalking is prohibited on all vertical surfaces, as well as on the specific horizontal surfaces listed here: buildings, walls, benches, picnic tables, signs, poles, newsstands, columns, bus stops, mailboxes, light poles, and trees.
- Chalking cannot interfere with another message that has already been chalked.