Verifying Highest Degree
Verification of the highest degree is required for all new faculty and academic professional and administrative (P&A) employees except those excluded below. This verification is to be obtained by the hiring department and may be provided in the form of:
- A letter from an authorized university official that degree requirements have been met by a specific date;
- A photocopy of a transcript showing the date of the degree; or
- A photocopy of the degree certificate.
Verification may also be obtained through a background check handled through the Office of Human Resources (OHR). For more information and process steps, consult the Administrative Policy: Pre-hire Background Verification.
Verification of highest degree is not required for persons in either of the following two categories:
- Academic employees on "without salary" status; (i.e., individuals for whom no salary dollars will be paid through the University of Minnesota payroll system), and
- Visiting faculty (appointment type V), either having "with" or "without salary" status. Refer to the Administrative Policy: Academic Appointments with Teaching Functions for a complete description of visiting faculty.
Should faculty or P&A employees holding non-salaried appointments be subsequently placed on the University payroll, verification would then be required except in the case of those individuals on visiting faculty appointments.