Requesting and Reconciling a Cash Advance
See policy for conditions/limits for Cash Advances.
Requesting a Cash Advance in EFS:
- Create a Travel Authorization in the enterprise financial system (EFS) with the start/end dates of the activity and submit for approval(s). Departments must approve a Travel Authorization before Purchasing Services will approve the Cash Advance.
- Create a Cash Advance in the financial system and submit for approval(s).
- Print the Cash Advance Report, obtain employee’s (requestor’s) signature and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash advances should be received by Purchasing Services no earlier than 30 days before the activity start date. Approved requests will be paid to the employee no earlier than 10 prior to the activity start date.
Cash Advances will be paid by check and mailed to the employee's home address or by direct deposit into the employee’s designated bank account. If a cash advance is needed immediately, a Check Handling Request form must be completed and attached to the Cash Advance request and submitted to Purchasing Services.
Reconciling a Cash Advance in EFS:
Employees accounting for a cash advance must complete and sign the Reimbursement Request form to document their expenditures within 60 days of the activity end date. Receipts and other support documentation must be submitted to the department preparer for processing. Original itemized receipts are required for all expenses over $25, except for travel meals covered by the daily per diem. Receipts should be detailed supplier receipts rather than general charge card transaction slips. Travel and non-travel related expenditures must be documented according to Transaction Justification/Documentation Standards for All Non-Sponsored and Sponsored Transactions Job Aid.
To Ensure Accurate Reconciliation of a Cash Advance:
- Create an Expense Report in the financial system using the information supplied on the Reimbursement Request form, receipts and documentation.
- Select Expense Report, "Travel Authorization" option, and the "Apply Cash Advance" hyperlink.
- Verify the expenses and documentation are in compliance with the associated University Policies.
- Complete required fields, attach documentation, and submit for approval.
- Review and approve the expense report.
To Report Expenses as Taxable Income
- Complete the Taxable Benefit / Expense Reimbursement Reporting Form(UM 1865, excel) detailing the taxable income. Be sure to include all requested information.
- E-mail the form to email@example.com.
- Copy department/unit personnel as needed.
Returning portion/all of Cash Advance:
The department enters a deposit into the EFS following the steps in the Job Aid: Prepare a Deposit: “EA” – Returning a Cash Advance.