There are three phases associated with the duties of a certifier with regard to reviewing and certifying effort: period of performance, pre-review period, and the actual effort certification period (see side B for a timeline).
Period of Performance and Pre-Review Period
If an effort period is not open for certification, effort data may be viewed, but not altered, during the period of performance and/or the pre-review period.
- The period of performance begins after the first pay period has run for a new effort period and continues until the effort period opens for certification.
- The pre-review period occurs two weeks before the effort period opens.
- Notes may be created and saved during both the period of performance and pre-review period.
Effort Certification Period
When the effort certification period opens, you will receive an email notification that your statement is ready to certify. Follow these steps to complete certification within the appropriate deadline:
- Go to www.ospa.umn.edu/effort and click <Login to ECRT Information>.
- Enter your x.500 username and password.
- On the ECRT home page, click <Certify/View My Effort>.
- You will access your statement before the effort coordinator, unless your statement must be manually completed or the effort coordinator places your statement on hold.
- Once your statement appears, review the list of sponsored and nonsponsored activities appearing under the Accounts column.
- If a project is missing, notify your effort coordinator immediately so the proper changes can be made.
- Determine if the percentage in the Computed Effort column is consistent with the time you spent working on sponsored and nonsponsored activities during the specific period of performance for which you are certifying effort.
- If you need to make changes, update the percentages in the Certified Effort column according to how your time was actually spent.
- If changes are made, an effort note should be added to justify your reason for the change. This note is viewable by the effort coordinator who will review the changes and process Historical Salary Adjustments if necessary. After entering a note, click <Save Effort Note>.
- If the percentages in the Certified Effort column are correct, click each checkbox in the Certify Checkboxes column. The statement is not officially certified and will not route to your effort coordinator unless all of the checkboxes are checked.
- Confirm your certification on the attestation statement by clicking <I Agree>, then click <OK> in the submission confirmation box.
- The statement will be routed to the effort coordinator who will review the statement. If you made a change to your statement, the effort coordinator may be required to complete an Historical Salary Adjustment in the payroll system to align the salary charged to the sponsored project(s) with the effort that was certified.
- If your effort coordinator does not agree with the statement or its changes, he/she may ask for more information or return the statement to you for re-certification. If this occurs, you will receive an email notification and will need to log in to ECRT to re-certify.
- If you are a principal investigator (PI), you may need to certify the effort of your researchers. On the ECRT home page, click either <Certify My Researchers – Single View> or <Certify My Researchers – Group View> to process their effort statements.
- All effort must be certified within the published deadline. Please reference the Important Dates for Effort Certification at www.ospa.umn.edu/effort.
Effort Certification for Certifiers