The University promotes community-building activities for its faculty, staff, students, and visitors, and recognizes that tailgating has the potential to enhance the Stadium event experience within a safe, responsible, and controlled environment.
Tailgating is permitted on football game days and other approved large Stadium event days in designated areas, during specified hours, and under the conditions specified in the Tailgating Rules. The vice president for University Services and the director of Intercollegiate Athletics must approve all tailgating at specific stadium events.
Individuals who violate this policy, the Tailgating Rules, or applicable policies, rules, or law may be assessed fines; lose their season tickets, parking, or tailgating privileges; be removed from campus; and, for students, be subjected to disciplinary action under Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code.
In rare instances, the vice president for University Services and the director of Intercollegiate Athletics may grant exceptions to the Tailgating Rules within the scope of the law.
This policy applies to the Twin Cities campus only, and only to those events held in the Stadium.
To provide the framework for responsible tailgating on football game days or large Stadium event days that enhances the event experience, promotes a safe campus environment, and preserves the beauty of the campus.
- Eating food and drinking beverages (alcoholic or nonalcoholic) outdoors as part of pre-and post-game festivities in designated tailgating locations.
- University of Minnesota Parking and Transportation
- Open and close designated tailgating areas on football game days.
- University of Minnesota Police Department
- Enforce applicable laws and Tailgating Rules on football game days.
- Vice President for University Services and Director, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Administer the policy, including maintaining Tailgating Rules and communicating policy and rules for responsible tailgating to participants.
- Determine, in consultation with appropriate University administrators, the University-authorized locations and hours for tailgating on football game days.
- January 2014 - Comprehensive Review, Major Revision. 1. Expands the applicability of the policy to other major stadium events on the Twin Cities campus, such as concerts. 2. Revises the list of lots in which tailgating is allowed, and addresses hours for tailgating on weekdays and for the RV tailgating lot. 3.Prohibits pets on tailgating lots and includes a new reference to the Board of Regents policy on weapons.
- January 2009