The University provides students with an email account upon the student's matriculation to the institution. This account is free of charge and currently is active as long as the student remains active.
A University assigned student email account is the University's official means of communication with all students. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their University assigned email account. If a student chooses to forward his or her University email account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments, sent to any other email account.
To better serve our students, upon matriculation students are informed that their University assigned email account is the primary means of communication from the University community and that they will be held responsible for the information in the email. Email is the primary method of communication between students and the University. It is imperative that students understand that information will be communicated to them via their University assigned account while they are students.
- Any undergraduate, graduate and professional students. Student status starts upon matriculation. Student status may depend upon credit load.
- Student Information
- Any information related to student activities at the University of Minnesota.
- The time a student has submitted his or her deposit for attendance.
- Faculty and staff
- Communicate information to students via email with sufficient time for the student to act upon/respond to the information included in the message.
- Routinely check assigned University of Minnesota email account to review relevant information.
- Registrars on each campus
- Maintain policy. Respond to student requests.
- December 2013 - Comprehensive review, minor revision. Improves the clarity of the policy by minor adjustments to the language and a new FAQ.
- April 2008 - This policy now applies University Wide, rather than to the Twin Cities Campus Only.
- September 2001