- Primary: Responsible administrator/supervisor
- Secondary: Local campus, college, or administrative unit HR administrator
- Other (as needed): Office of Human Resources specialist or consultant
Vacation Leave for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
Last Update: February 2009
Responsible University Officer:
- Vice President for Human Resources
- Director, Human Resources Policy Development
- See Contacts Section.
- Updated: February 2009
- Primary Contact: See Contacts Section.
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
Eligible faculty and academic professional and administrative (P&A) employees are provided paid vacation leave. Vacation days may be used as they are accrued and are scheduled at the mutual convenience of the department/responsible administrator or supervisor and the faculty member or P&A employee. Twenty-two days accrue annually on a biweekly basis over 26 pay periods for individuals holding a single qualifying 100 percent time, twelve-month appointment or multiple qualifying twelve-month appointments totaling 100 percent. Individuals in qualifying positions totaling 67 percent up to 100 percent time accrue vacation leave on a pro-rated basis. Vacation for any qualifying percentage of time will not accumulate beyond a total of 22 days except under exceptional circumstances.
Unused vacation days up to a maximum of 22 days are paid out when the individual terminates University employment, providing the employee has worked 67 to 100 percent time for at least eleven months, and has not been terminated for cause. If the employee has not worked the required time or has been terminated for cause, the employee’s unused vacation will not vest, and the employee will have no right to payout of any vacation balance. When an individual changes from a vacation eligible appointment (e.g., 100 percent down to 50 percent time) or position to one that is ineligible for vacation, the accrued vacation balance will be paid out.
Documentation of vacation leave within the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) is required.
Faculty and P&A (93xx, 96xx, 97xx; 9540, & 9546) employees eligible for vacation leave must hold:
- A single 67 to 100 percent time appointment for a twelve-month term (A-base) OR
- Multiple appointments where each appointment is for a twelve-month term (A-base) and when combined the total percentage is at least equal to the minimum qualifying threshold of 67 percent.
Represented faculty are to refer to their respective collective bargaining agreement. Excluded from coverage under this policy are (1) civil service and union-represented staff, (2) graduate assistants, (3) professionals-in-training (except 9540 & 9546), and (4) employees holding "Without Salary" appointments.
REASON FOR POLICY
This policy implements Board of Regents Policy: Employee Work-Life and Personal Leaves. The University provides to eligible faculty and P&A employees vacation leave to support well-being and as an incentive to spend time away from work to foster increased efficiency and effectiveness in accomplishing position responsibilities. Also, because it is often inconvenient for the employee as well as the department to have an individual on an A-base appointment on leave for one month (22 days) at one time, this vacation policy was established.
- UM 1704: Faculty/P & A Vacation Leave Reporting (DOC)
- UM 1704: Faculty/P & A Vacation Leave Reporting (PDF)
- What Happens to Faculty and P&A Employee Vacation Leave Balances when a Change in Appointment or Position Occurs (PDF)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- A-base Appointments (A-term Appointments)
- Eleven-month appointments paid over 12 months. When A-base appointments are converted to the nine-month academic year, the salary is set at 9/11ths of the A-base.
- Department/Campus, College, or Administrative Unit
- Establishes local procedure for managing and documenting use of faculty and P&A employee vacation leave.
- Determines staff responsible for verifying correct conversion of dates of vacation leave taken into appropriate number of days taken for entry into HRMS.
- Identifies HRMS academic vacation leave entry staff.
- Maintains for 4 fiscal years electronic or paper leave of absence reporting records, UM forms.
- Designated Leave Entry Staff
- Enters into HRMS days of vacation leave taken.
- Arranges vacation leave with reasonable notice following departmental procedures.
- Submits report of vacation leave prior to being taken or immediately following.
- Responsible Administrator/Supervisor
- Manages requests for vacation leave, as appropriate.
- Ensures documentation of leave in HRMS.
- Unit HR Administration
- Ensures campus, college, or administrative unit compliance with policy and procedures.
- Board of Regents Policy: Employee Work-Life and Personal Leaves
- Appointment Terms
- Collective bargaining agreements
- June 2010 – Policy revised to expand vacation eligibility for faculty and P&A employees holding multiple appointments. Additional information added to Procedures clarifying both vacation balance and use when an employee moves from a vacation eligible civil service or union-represented position to an academic position.
- February 2009 – Policy revised (1) to include language that permits vacation payout under specified circumstances during times of continued University employment, (2) to include automation of accrual and usage of vacation days. Policy is effective March 1, 2009.
- July 2008 - Policy revised to allow vacation days to be used as they are accrued.
- December 2007 - Policy converted to the new University-wide format for Administrative policies. Edits to clarify policy intent.
- February 2007 - Moved to Administrative Policy with edits.
- November 1990, September 1992
- May 1954
- May 1954