University of Minnesota
University Relations
University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
University M logo on red background
Home : Finance : Travel

Traveling on University Business

Effective Date: December 1995
Last Update: December 2011
Responsible University Officer:
  • University Controller
Policy Owner:
  • Director of Purchasing Services
  • Director of Disbursement Services
Policy Contact:
CONSULTED WITH: Faculty Consultative Committee

Printed on: . Please go to for the most current version of the Policy or related document.


Travelers (employees and non-employees) are responsible to ensure that travel expenses are for valid University business-related purposes; are in accordance with University policies and procedures; and are a prudent use of public and University funds. Employees (faculty and staff) traveling on University business are expected to choose the least costly method of transportation that meets the traveler's scheduling and business needs.

All travel expenses incurred by travelers must be substantiated and documented in accordance with University policy and applicable federal and state laws (note-receipts are not required for meals and incidentals, which are reimbursed via per diem payments). In circumstances where a traveler 's expenses have been paid by the University (via Pcard, reimbursement, etc.) and a third party for the same travel expenses, the traveler will ensure that the duplicate reimbursement is returned to the University within 30 days.

External research sponsors may have more or less restrictive rules than the University. Travelers traveling on sponsored funds should follow the most restrictive applicable policy (University policy or sponsor rules). However, if the sponsor has given prior written approval for certain expenses generally not allowed on non-sponsored funds, these costs may be allowed on sponsored funds.

Travel expenses must be approved by a person who has the authority to approve or deny payment of the travel expenses. Normally the approver is one level senior to the traveler, but it may also be other person(s) in the department or unit who are not one level senior, but has been delegated the authority to approve or deny travel expenses. Under no circumstances should the delegation of approval authority create a situation where an employee is approving the expenses of their supervisor.  Departments have the discretion to require their employees to obtain preapproval for travel.

Approvers are responsible for validating that all expenses comply with University policy, are a prudent use of University funds, are adequately documented, and are submitted and accounted for in a timely manner. Travel expenses incurred on sponsored funds must also follow certified approver program rules and guidelines.

Departments, colleges, coordinate campuses, and units are not allowed to establish their own separate policies in lieu of this University-wide policy. Where budget constraints, compliance risks, or other factors warrant variations from this University policy, the college, department or unit should work with the appropriate central offices (Budget & Finance, Office of the Vice President for Research, Controller, etc.) to develop local procedures which address the circumstances.

All travelers going to an international destination for University business are required to pre-register their trip information.

It is recommended that travelers use the University's preferred travel vendors.

Travel Documentation/Reimbursement Request

Generally, non-sponsored travel reimbursement requests should be made within 30 days of the conclusion of travel. For travel on sponsored projects, travel expenses should be submitted within 30 days, or before the end date of the grant (for travel incurred near the end of a grant). Approvers may choose to deny requests received after this time. Expenses incurred near the end of the fiscal year should be processed in accordance with the year-end accounting calendar to ensure they are reported in the correct accounting period.

When personal and business travel is combined, expenses must be clearly documented and reimbursement for airfare may not exceed the lowest available cost of a direct or uninterrupted route. If the traveler uses an indirect route or interrupts travel for personal convenience, any additional expenses incurred are the sole responsibility of the traveler. Further information about lodging, meal rates, and mileage is available in Travel Reimbursement Rates.

Currency Exchange (International Travel)
Foreign expenses must be submitted in U.S. dollars using the exchange rate in effect during the dates of travel. Include documentation indicating what exchange rate was used to make the conversions. Currency exchange rates can be found at OANDA. If purchases were made via credit card, use the exchange rate provided by the credit card company.

Unsubstantiated/Unallowable Expenses

In cases where travel expenses are paid by the University (either through P-card purchases, advances, or otherwise) but are not allowable according to this travel policy, or are not appropriately substantiated, the following will occur to recover the funds:

  • Traveler pays the University via personal check or money order (not cash). Traveler must include the payment with the related Expense Report or Pcard transaction documentation and justification. All payments due to the University and documentation must be submitted within 30 days of the conclusion of travel or when submitting Pcard documentation in accordance with processing guidelines.
  • In cases where the employee does not submit payment as required above, the employee and the University will establish a payment plan under which the amount owed is deducted from the employee’s paycheck.
  • When the amount is deemed uncollectable (traveler is no longer a University employee), the University may seek legal remedies against employees who do not repay improper charges and reimbursements and/or record the amount due as taxable compensation to the employee

Situations resulting in the traveler owing the University should be avoided and not recurring.

Cash Advances

The University issues cash advances in support of official University business for a very limited number of business reasons. Please refer to the Administrative Policy: Cash Advances.

Air Transportation

Traveler(s) may, with preapproval from their unit, upgrade from coach to the next most economical class of travel over coach (business class in most cases, first class in cases where business class is not offered), when the total flight time from departure to arrival is 8 or more hours (including connecting domestic legs).

Employees are not allowed to pilot their personal or leased aircraft while on University business travel. If they choose to do so, they will not be considered acting in an official capacity of the University nor will they be reimbursed for any related expenses.

Travelers may not travel using a private plane or non-approved air charter unless an exception is granted by the University Risk Management Office. If no exception has been obtained, the transportation expenses will not be reimbursed.

It is recommended that no more than 20 University faculty, staff or regents fly on the same plane at the same time.

Accrual and Use of Frequent Flyer Miles

In accordance with Minnesota State Statute, 15.435, Section 20, frequent flyer miles or any other benefit issued by an airline must accrue to the benefit of the University whenever University funds are used to pay for airline travel, regardless of the origination of those funds (e.g., from state or federal grants, contracts, or appropriations, or private donors.) University employees may not use these miles or other benefits for their personal travel.

University employees, rather than departments, are responsible for tracking miles earned with University funds, and providing records of such tracking upon request. When they have accumulated enough frequent flyer miles to earn free travel, employees are expected to use the miles for University travel.

Infrequent travelers (those who take no more than 2 trips per year) should not accrue frequent flyer miles.

Ground Transportation

Travelers should use the least expensive method of ground transportation while in travel status (e.g., airport shuttles, taxis). Automobiles should only be rented when absolutely necessary, or when doing so reduces overall transportation charges to the University.

If it is necessary to rent or lease a vehicle, departments are encouraged to use Fleet Services for local rentals or through contracted vendors.  See Administrative Policy: Using Vehicles for University Business for information and rates related to renting or leasing vehicles for use locally.

When renting a vehicle for domestic and international travel, two types of insurance are required:

Physical Damage: Covers damage to the rental vehicle. This insurance:

  • Is NOT provided by the University
  • Is provided automatically when renting vehicles from the Big Ten contracted rental vendor
  • Must be elected when using any other vendor

Liability: Covers damages to other parties arising from the use of the vehicle. This insurance:

  • Is provided by the University for vehicle rental in the US. Travelers do not need to purchase.
  • Is NOT provided by the University for rental outside the United States. International travelers should purchase liability insurance from the rental vendor to ensure full compliance with local law and practice.

Rental vehicle and gas charges may be reimbursed, but not mileage. When renting a vehicle outside of the United States, confirm whether an international driver’s license is required.

Departments may authorize travelers to use a personal vehicle for University business in compliance with Administrative Policy: Using Vehicles on University Business When employees use their personal vehicles in the course of required University travel, their individual Auto Liability coverage is always primary to any Auto Liability coverage the University may have in place.

See appendix Reimbursable/Non-reimbursable Travel Related Expenses for the types of insurance that are reimbursable and the current reimbursement rate for personal vehicle use.

Chartered Transportation

The University requires charter carriers, such as charter airlines, helicopters, buses and boats to demonstrate a specified level of insurance coverage when they are providing services to the University. Departments arranging charter services from a vendor not on a University-Wide Contract must have the insurance reviewed by Risk Management and the contract reviewed by the University’s Office of the General Counsel (OGC) prior to making the arrangements.


Non-Conference - Domestic or international lodging: Travelers are reimbursed for actual expenses up to 150% of the lodging rate for that city as referenced on the US Government General Services Administration (GSA) website (domestic) or 150% of the international lodging rate for that city as referenced on the US State Department website (international), unless pre-approval has been obtained from the appropriate authorized approver by completing the Request for Lodging Exception. If the traveler has not obtained prior approval, the supervisor/manager may deduct the overage from the reimbursement request.

Conference - Domestic or international lodging: The lodging rate limit does not apply to conference travel, where the traveler is paying a pre-negotiated rate that is offered by the conference.

Local Lodging - Employees traveling locally typically do not require an overnight stay. However, in certain circumstances such as when a University department or college hosts a multi-day conference or event on/near a University campus, it may be necessary or reasonable for University employees to stay overnight at a hotel that is in the same city or town as their residence. Employees may incur lodging expenses in these and similar situations, provided that department approvals have been obtained in advance of the stay, and that the business purpose for the local hotel stay is documented.

Receipts are required for all lodging.

Meals and Incidentals

Travelers are reimbursed up to the Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem specific for the city/time of year of their travel location according to the GSA website for domestic travel or US State Department website for international travel. Meals included with a conference will not be reimbursed.  The first and last days of travel will be reimbursed at 75% of the per diem rate. Travel that is at least 12 hours but does not require an overnight stay is considered “extended day travel” and the traveler may, on an occasional basis, receive the dinner per diem only (no breakfast or lunch). Reimbursement for travel meals is prohibited for travel that is less than 12 hours.

Gratuities for baggage carriers, bellhops and hotel maids are included in the incidental portion of the daily per diem, and should not be submitted or reimbursed as separate expense items.

Receipts are not required (under any circumstances) for reimbursement of travel meals or incidental expenses that are included in the daily per diem.

Note: Special expenses such as meals in conjunction with business entertainment and alcoholic beverages are covered in Administrative Policy: Hospitality and Special Expenses.

International Travel

All employees on University business must register their international travel in advance of the trip, regardless of funding source. There is no central authorization for international travel; authorization remains at the local collegiate or departmental level. See Administrative Procedure: Registering International Travel (Faculty and Staff).

Travelers are responsible for checking their destinations for any Travel Warnings/Alerts in advance of international travel.  Units cannot require an unwilling employee to travel on University business to a country that is subject to a Travel Warning.

Travelers are responsible for understanding their international insurance options including any coverage provided by the University and needs that may exceed current coverage and require purchase of additional insurance.

Travelers planning to send or take students overseas are responsible for ensuring students complete requirements covered in the Administrative Procedure: Preparing for Education Abroad. Faculty and staff are advised that they must ensure that students sign a standard Release and Waiver and obtain mandatory travel, health and security insurance. Faculty and staff must also ensure that students planning travel to a country on the U.S. State Department’s Travel Warning list receive approval in advance of travel. More information about the approval process in Administrative Procedure: Suspending Education Abroad Opportunities.


Enrolled University students who travel on behalf of the University for official University business either as students or as University employees are governed by this policy if their travel is financially supported by the University. Students also are responsible for adhering to the Administrative Policy: Makeup Work for Legitimate Absences: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, and Rochester.

Students using personal resources to fund their travel are not governed by this policy. However, if the travel is for University purposes, they must adhere to the other relevant policies. Students traveling abroad, regardless of funding source, are responsible for adhering to the Administrative Policy:Education Abroad Opportunities: Addressing Health and Safety Risks

Accounting for student travel expenses: Determination of the proper accounting for student travel expenses must also be in accordance with the Office of Student Finance guidelines and policies. For additional information, go to:

Travel expenses for University students not performing services for University may be paid or reimbursed as a fellowship or scholarship (e.g., if a student is traveling to present research to obtain their degree and the University is supporting the travel) through financial aid. Consult with Student Finance for proper handling of payments to students. Also, see the Single Payment Vendor Payment Types Allowed.

Non Employee Travel

Community members and volunteers who may travel on behalf of the University, on official University business (not for personal benefit and not as part of professional services for a fee) are governed by this policy. Travel must be preapproved by a vice chancellor, dean, department head or vice president. In addition, to ensure the proper policy application for non-employee travel expenses, refer to the Administrative Policy: Hospitality and Special Expenses.

Travel expenses for individuals who are not employees of the University but are providing services to the University, such as consultants, speakers, lecturers, visiting professors, and visiting students (scholars) are reimbursed in accordance with Contract for Professional Services terms and conditions and vendor payment procedures. See the Administrative Policy: Purchasing a Professional Service for more information.

Other Liability Insurance

General Liability
University general liability coverage insurance covers employees for liabilities they may incur that directly arise from the course and scope of their employment activities, including those activities undertaken while traveling with a university program.

University general liability insurance covers students for liabilities they may incur that directly arise from engaging in activities essential to and required by their course of study, including those activities undertaken while traveling with a University program. Students engaged in optional travel not required to fulfill University requirements are NOT covered by University liability insurance.

Coverage for non-employees or for volunteer workers will be specified by contract or agreement.

Personal Property
Student or employee personal property or effects are not covered by University insurance.

Spousal/Guest Travel

Expenses incurred by a spouse or personal guest are not reimbursable expenses, unless they conform to those acceptable conditions outlined in the Administrative Policy: Hospitality and Special Expenses.

Special Situations

Some employees may have unique circumstances (such as an outstate location) that require frequent travel (more than on an occasional basis); depending on the length of the trips, these employees may not be in either extended day travel or overnight travel status. If those circumstances exist frequently and cause a financial hardship to the employee, managers are encouraged to provide additional, incremental compensation to those employees in the form of a taxable salary augmentation. Contact Payroll Services at for the applicable pay code.


This policy does not govern Hospitality expenses or other non-travel related expenses. Refer to Administrative Policy: Hospitality and Special Expenses.


This policy has been established to provide standards that ensure safe and economical University travel while maintaining the necessary controls, accountability, compliance with applicable federal and state laws, and administrative efficiency. The international travel-reporting requirement will allow travelers to receive pre-travel resources and reduce expense in locating and assisting University travelers in the event of an in-country crisis.

This policy is designed to comply with the accountable plan rules of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the U.S. Treasury Department.



International Insurance forms and instruction:




Primary Contact(s)
Travel Using Sponsored Funds
Office of Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA)
University Fleet Car Rental
Fleet Services
Plane Charters
Purchasing/Travel Services
Housing on Campus
Housing Services
Purchasing/Travel Services
Accident Reporting, Extra Hazardous Insurance
Risk Management and Insurance Office
Travel Training
Training Services
Travel Payment Processing
University Financial Helpline
Financial Policy and Procedures
University Financial Helpline
Student Finance / Financial Aid
Office of Student Finance
612-624-1111 or 1-800-400-8636

612-624-7304 or 612-624-2057
Tax Management Office
International Travel: Registration, Insurance and Policy
Global Programs and Strategy Alliance


Airline Frequent Flyer Programs:
Programs offered by individual airlines that award credits towards free or reduced price tickets or other benefits based upon the purchase of an airline ticket. Most major U.S. airlines have frequent flyer programs including Northwest Airlines, United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, and Continental Airlines. Programs offered by non-airline entities, such as credit card companies, are not included within the definition of "Airline Frequent Flier Programs."
Cash Advance
Cash provided to an employee for travel purposes, for human subject payments or to cover expenses related to athletic recruiting.
Travel between work and home. 
Domestic Travel
Includes travel within the continental U.S. (CONUS), Alaska and Hawaii.
Note: Per diem rates for U.S. territories including American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island can be found at the U.S. Department of State's website for Foreign Travel, in a separate section following the International per diem rates.
A legal obligation of the University to pay a vendor or reimburse an employee or for one department to pay another department, when the payee performs as agreed. The amount is set aside once the purchase document is finalized in the enterprise financial system.
Extended Day Travel
Travel that is at least twelve hours in duration and does not require an overnight stay.
Frequent Flyer Account:
Account set up with an airline for an individual traveler for the purpose of accruing miles to be redeemed for free or reduced-price airline tickets or for other benefits. For most major U.S. airlines, current minimum frequent flyer miles needed to obtain free round-trip ticket is 25,000 miles.
Frequent Flyer Miles:
Miles awarded by individual airlines that can be redeemed for free or reduced price airline tickets or other benefits on the same airline or a partner airline.
International Travel
Travel to any country (including Mexico and Canada) or territory outside the continental U.S. (CONUS), Alaska and Hawaii. Travel to the non-contiguous US locations of American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island are considered international travel for purposes of this policy and CISI insurance purposes.

Note: Per diem rates for U.S. territories including American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island can be found at the U.S. Department of State's website for Foreign Travel, in a separate section following the International per diem rates.

Office of Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA)
Unit responsible for administering sponsored funds and monitoring compliance with the terms of the grant or contract.
Public Funds:
All funds received by the University from any funding sources, regardless of whether those funds originated from private donors; state or federal grants, contracts, or appropriations; or from any other source.
Sponsored Funds
Money received by the University from an external party to fund a sponsored project. Sponsored projects are governed by specific terms and conditions, and are separately budgeted and accounted for in accordance with OMB Uniform Guidance, University policies governing sponsored projects, and/or the terms of the sponsoring entity. Sponsored funds may include money received to fund grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements for research, training, and other public service activities.
Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings
Travel Alerts, as defined by the U.S. Department of State, are issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions, generally within a particular country, that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events are examples of conditions that might generate a Travel Alert.
Travel Warnings, as defined by the U.S. Department of State, are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government’s ability to assist U.S. citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a draw-down of its staff.
Travel Status
An employee is in travel status when they are on business travel that requires an overnight stay.  Travel begins when the employee leaves their home or office for their trip destination. 
An individual (employee or non-employee) who has been authorized to travel on behalf of the University, on official University business. Required to comply with policies and procedures.  Travel expenses are paid from University funds.


Certified Approver
For expenses on sponsored funds; reviews travel authorizations and expense reports for accuracy (including accounts being charged), appropriateness and compliance to applicable policies, procedures and Sponsor agreement. Takes action to approve, return, or deny travel authorizations and expense reports based on the review.
Deans / Dept Heads
Designate an approver for staff business travel and for student travel as part of academic programs. Determine the documentation, if any, required to record approval. Inform employees of laws and policies.
Department Approver
Reviews travel authorizations and expense reports for accuracy (including accounts being charged), appropriateness and compliance to applicable policies and procedures. Takes action to approve, return, or deny travel authorizations and expense reports based on the review.
Disbursement Services Travel Administrator
Administer University employee travel payment process. Audit and approves cash advance requests. Maintain and update travel policy, procedures and communication.
Global Programs and Strategy Alliance (GPS Alliance)
Provide services and information to support international teaching, learning, research, engagement and collaboration. Advise travelers on resources and policies related to international travel. Manage the online pre-registration of international travel and coordinate response in the case of a world or localized crisis that may impact University travelers. GPS Alliance also coordinates the UMN-CISI international travel, health and security insurance program and the petitions for travel to State Department Travel Warning countries (ITRAAC).
Follow procedure for creating Travel Authorizations and Expense Reports in the financial system.
Purchasing Services Travel Services Coordinator
Administer University travel programs, negotiate with travel vendors to ensure the best travel values, and keep University employees and travel arrangers informed about policies, procedures, contracts, and industry conditions, as necessary. Maintain and update travel policy, procedures and communication.
Sponsored Projects Administrator
Review and approve documents for sponsored accounts.
Comply with this policy and all related procedures. Choose the least costly method of transportation that also meets scheduling needs. Select lodging consistent with University policy. Submit required forms, documentation and business justifications. Track frequent flyer miles. When required by their department, obtain permission to travel before expenses are incurred. Obtain approval for travel expenses. Account for cash advances and expenses in a timely manner. International travelers must centrally report their travel in advance of the trip. When traveling with students, ensure they sign a standard release and waiver, receive international travel, health and security insurance in advance of travel, and obtain special approval to travel to a country with a DOS Travel Warning.
Vice President / Chancellors
Designate and document approval authority for staff business travel and for student travel as part of academic programs.



December 2014 - Reference to A-21 changed to OMB Uniform Guidance in Definitions.
December 2011 - Major Revision, Comprehensive Review: Adds a new requirement that travelers to international destinations for University business must pre-register their trip information.
September 2011 - Major Revision, Comprehensive Review:
  • Extends the time frame for submitting travel expenses and accounting for cash advances from 15 days of the scheduled trip end date, to 30 days or the end of the fiscal year/grant end date, whichever is shorter. Reimbursements may not be approved if not submitted within the established timeframe.
  • Aligns the international allowable lodging rate with the domestic lodging rate (150% of the GSA (General Services Administration) or U.S. State Department. Receipts are now required for all hotel reimbursements. Incidentals for international travel will be reimbursed at the full per diem.
  • Incorporates the Frequent Flyer policy language, and eliminates the separate administrative policy: Frequent Flyer.
  • Specifies actions the University may take if traveler spends University funds on an expense that is found to be against policy or cannot be substantiated.
  • Stipulates that employees may not be reimbursed for expenses that have been or will be paid for or reimbursed by another source.
  • Removes the language on cash advances and places it in its own standalone policy.
  • Better describes the provisions governing travel by students.
  • More clearly delineates who may approve or deny payment of travel expenses.
  • Provides additional detail around meals and incidentals.
  • Specifies a new formula for reimbursement of partial day travel.
  • Added a new section on Other Liability Insurance.
July 2008 - Policy completely revised to address the Enterprise Financial System rollout. Procedures, Forms, and Appendices I and K revised. Added new procedure: Obtaining and Reconciling Cash Advances.
January 2007 - Dinner expenses are now covered for extended day travel.
December 2006 - Canada is now considered international travel. Domestic and International Travel definitions, Arranging Travel procedure, and Appendix D and I have been updated to reflect that. Aisle seat charges are not a reimbursable expense. Mileage rate updated for 2007.
July 2006 - Guideline on what is considered reasonable hotel expense has been added. A procedure and form (UM 1636) has been added to address exceptions to the guideline.
March 2006 - Updated International Travel definition. Added Instructions to the Employee Expense Worksheet to the Forms section. Rates section updated to include partial per diem table.
January 2006 - To change policy from reimbursing actual for travel meals to reimbursing per diem rates for travel meals. Frequent Flyer information moved to Policy 3.8.5 - Accrual and Use of Frequent Flyer Miles. The purpose of the changes is to establish that travel expenses require "one-up" approval and to disallow the establishment of or existence of different departmental policies. Most policy sections extensively revised.
December 2005 - Mileage rate updated.
October 2005 - Policy Statement language updated in the paragraph addressing travel using sponsored funds. Added Travel on Sponsored Funds questions and answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Updated Domestic Travel information in the rates section.
September 2005 - Updated mileage rate. Appendix I: Reimbursable/Non-Reimbursable Travel Expenses updated.
December 2004 - Updated mileage rates to include 2005 rates.
November 2004 - Added this sentence to Policy Statement: "Employees and non-employees will not be compensated for business use of personal Frequent Flyer miles, vouchers for bumping, discount coupons, or other personal reward/discount documents of value."
April 2004 - Policy Statement changed: "Travelers should obtain permission to travel before travel begins, from supervisory or designated authority" changed to: "Travelers must obtain permission to travel before travel begins, from supervisory or designated authority".
January 2004 - Added Common Audit Recommendations - Travel to appendices.
December 2003 - Updated Rates Section.
October 2003- Updated Rates section including the following; meal rates increased to match Federal Government's State Department Per Diem (daily allowance), added international travel, link for currency conversions, and policy clarifications. Procedure also updated.
August 2003 - Added link to Certified Approvers site and clarified that CA approval must be obtained for travel on sponsored accounts.
June 2003 - Added new form - Statement in Lieu of Receipt. Updated Rates section to state that gratuities on meals should not exceed 20%. Updated Appendix I to reflect this. Disbursement Services is now Responsible Office (in addition to Purchasing Services).
January 2003 - Mileage rates updated to $0.360. Wording updated in rates section.
January 2002 - Mileage rates updated to $0.365
January 2001 - Mileage rates updated to $0.345, Procedure updated to reflect current requirements for documentation and justification within the Employee Travel Reimbursement Forms.
August 2000 - Added Frequently Asked Questions Section.
July 2000 - meal rates changed to Federal Government's State Department Per Diem (daily allowances) rates.
January 2000 - mileage rates updated from $.31 to $.325 effective January 1, 2000.
March 1999 - mileage rates updated from $.325 to $.31 effective April 1, 1999.
January 1998 - mileage rates updated from $.315 to $.325 effective January 1998.
June 1997 - mileage rates updated to reflect 1997-1998 rates.
April 1997 - added clarification on Frequent Flyer accounts.
January 1997 - added meal rates for expensive cities to table & mileage rate change.
October 1996 - added Appendix N
March 1996 - added link to Travel Web (Appendix M)
December 1995
January 1993 Employee Business Related Expenses


Document Feedback

Did this document successfully answer your questions?

Additional comments: (2000 character limit)

Email Address: (so we can respond to your questions)

© 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on December 30, 2014