Using Email as Official Student Communication
Last Update: April 2008
Responsible University Officer:
- Director, Office of the Registrar
- See Contacts Section.
- Updated: April 2008
- Primary Contact: See Contacts Section.
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
The University provides students with an email account upon the student's matriculation to the institution. This account is free of charge and currently is active as long as the student remains active.
A University assigned student email account will be the University's official means of communication with all students. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their University assigned email account. If a student chooses to forward their University email account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments, sent to any other email account.
REASON FOR POLICY
To better serve our students, upon matriculation students are informed that their University assigned email account is the primary means of communication from the University community and that they will be held responsible for the information in the email.Increasingly, email is becoming the primary mode of communication between students and the University. The information distributed via email varies from college updates to registration summaries.
It is imperative that students understand that a majority of information will be communicated to them via their University assigned account while they are students.
There are no procedures associated with this policy.
There are no forms associated with this policy.
There are no appendices associated with this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There is no FAQ associated with this policy.
- Any undergraduate, graduate and professional students. Student status starts upon matriculation. Student status may depend upon credit load.
- Student Information
- Any information related to student activities at the University of Minnesota.
- The time a student has submitted his or her deposit for attendance.
- System Campus
- Promote the use of email communication throughout their respective campuses.
- Routinely check assigned University of Minnesota email account to review relevant information.
- Registrar Twin Cities Campuses
- Maintain policy. Respond to unique student requests. Promote the use of email communication throughout the University campuses.
- Administrative Policy: Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
- April 2008 - This policy now applies University Wide, rather than to the Twin Cities Campus Only.
- September 2001