Holds on Records and Registration: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
Last Update: December 2009
Responsible University Officer:
- Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education
- Updated: December 2009
- Primary Contact : Tina Falkner
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
The University may impose holds on student records for financial, judicial, or academic reasons.
- Holds may be placed on a student's record under the following circumstances:
- In order to assist the student, advisers may at any stage during a student's academic career impose a hold on his or her record that affects the student’s ability to register when appropriate for advising purposes.
- The University may place a hold on a student's record for a violation of Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code or for failure to meet financial obligations to the University (for example, unpaid bills, library fees, unreturned keys.
- The Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and/or Vice President for Health Sciences may designate other appropriate reasons for the University to place a hold on a student's record.
- A hold ordinarily will prevent a student from obtaining an official transcript or registering for courses or making changes to courses for which they have already registered.
- To remove a hold from a student record, the student must first pay the debt owed; correct the deficiency or problem; or be cleared by the Office for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (or the appropriate office on the coordinate campuses.)
This policy is not applicable to the Duluth campus.
REASON FOR POLICY
Holds are placed on student records as leverage where needed to protect the University’s interests where necessary. For various reasons the University may need to place holds on students’ records to compel student action. Placing holds is not an arbitrary action. Only certain offices on campus are able to place holds.
There are no procedures related to this policy.
There are no forms related to this policy.
There are no appendices related to this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There are no frequently asked questions related to this policy.
There are no definitions related to this policy.
There are no specific responsibilities related to this policy.
- Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code
- Administrative Policy: Declaring an Undergraduate Major: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
- December 2009 - Policy now applies to Crookston.
- April 2009